Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for Lighted Base

The concept with the 3 Volt power supply was it was regulated and did not need a dropping resistor to run standard LED's. With the strips, yes I know they are standard 12 VDC and the ones I found have factory available termination and power supplies. All from a US supplier and UL approved.

Ordering the T slot cutter tonight, as I already have a nice milling machine and table vise, now for wood instead of metal!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Where did you find a T slot cutter that will do a 1/4" bottom slot and smaller slot for the acrylic? My husband was working in the shop a little bit ago and he was able to do a base like Bert was needing, it just was a larger than the .125 acrylic that he's using.

1/8th inch is what I find at HD for stock also most glass stock I use is 1/8th also, never tried 1/4" stock.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

When I'm in a crunch I go to HD and that's where I get my almost 1/4" stock. The price is minimal between the two. On my machine it takes a little bit longer to cut out, but I really like the sturdiness of it. Here's a pic of the base my hubby worked on a little bit ago with a smaller slot for the acrylic and the 1/4" for the LED strip.

IMG_1562.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1564.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    1/8th inch is what I find at HD for stock also most glass stock I use is 1/8th also, never tried 1/4" stock.

The slot cutter has a .250 shank so it won't work for the 1/8 inch .125 inch. I got my acrylic from Amazon, cast not .250 more like .235, 8 pcs 12x12 inches to my door for $48.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-03-2014 at 8:57 PM.

That's a great price. I usually pay about $20 for an 18" x 24" sheet and then my hubby cuts it down to size for me. Can you post or PM me the link for what you buy please?

Amazon do a search for acrylic, its cast and engraves beautifully.
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-03-2014 at 9:02 PM.

Great, thanks. I think I found it. Glad to know it engraves well. Out of curiosity, what settings do you use to engrave (raster) and vector engrave on your machine? I'm still having issues getting a smooth engraving when rastering.

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Welch View Post
    Great, thanks. I think I found it. Glad to know it engraves well. Out of curiosity, what settings do you use to engrave (raster) and vector engrave on your machine? I'm still having issues getting a smooth engraving when rastering.
    30 - 40 percent 35 Watt machine 400 mm sec

Not to sound ignorant, but my machine (FSL 45W), to my knowledge, only uses Power & Speed settings. How do I translate what you gave below of 40 percent and 400 mm sec, into power and speed settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    30 - 40 percent 35 Watt machine 400 mm sec

Quote Originally Posted by Michele Welch View Post
    Not to sound ignorant, but my machine (FSL 45W), to my knowledge, only uses Power & Speed settings. How do I translate what you gave below of 40 percent and 400 mm sec, into power and speed settings?
    40% of 35 = 14 watts and 400 mm/Sec should be in your software settings for each file that you can adjust as needed.. 25.4 mm per inch so round numbers 16 inches per sec. Which happens to be top speed for my machine.
    Amazon Link for Acrylic > http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Acrylic-S...r+cast+acrylic

This is software for the FSL machines are very basic and I'm not aware of anywhere to change those settings. The software is Retina Engrave and it only has spots to change the percentage amount of power and speed, at least to my knowledge. Thanks for the info though. I will see what I can find!

40% of 35 = 14 watts and 400 mm/Sec should be in your software settings for each file that you can adjust as needed.. 25.4 mm per inch so round numbers 16 inches per sec. Which happens to be top speed for my machine.
    Amazon Link for Acrylic > http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Acrylic-S...r+cast+acrylic

This is using the new 5 LED base with the 3 volt power supply. Better upload, no the image is not shades of white and blue.... my camera phone does that. When I take pictures for uploading to our website they will be with my Canon digital...., the $1200 one.
    Notice the detail in Joy's eyes it looks stunning in person.
    Attachment 294162
    40% and 400 mm's Sec
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-04-2014 at 4:45 PM.

The slot cutter has a .250 shank so it won't work for the 1/8 inch .125 inch.
    I just picked up a Freud 'keyhole router bit' that has a 1/4" shank, bit it thins to 1/8" above the shaft area.
    The cutter head is 1/4", but the body is also a cutter and that's 1/8".
    Don't know if you can use those in your milling machine or not.. but for $16 it isn't too expensive to find out..

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I just picked up a Freud 'keyhole router bit' that has a 1/4" shank, bit it thins to 1/8" above the shaft area.
    The cutter head is 1/4", but the body is also a cutter and that's 1/8".
    Don't know if you can use those in your milling machine or not.. but for $16 it isn't too expensive to find out..
    I don't need anything smaller than .250 but maybe someone else does. Thanks anyway.