Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Well, another holiday weekend has come and gone. Had a pretty long but good weekend actually.

Had to make a trip to Alabama to help my parents with some needed yard work and take down a tree for them. My parents have had various surgeries and aren't physically able to do some of the yard work until they recover fully, so I loaded up the family Friday morning, drove 400 miles and rested that night while visiting with my family. Did the yard work on Saturday and then loaded up and drove back on Sunday.

Took down a big poplar tree in my parents front yard and yes...I brought some nice chunks of it home with me and I sealed it up and it sits in my shop now. I just couldn't stand it, so I cut and rough turned a bowl out of that very wet poplar. Very nice and very fun!!! Needless to say, that was my woodworking and shop time for this weekend.

Saturday evening I got to take a couple of pieces of that poplar to a fellow woodworker, Jack Wood. He gave me a tour of his shop and showed me several things that he had made and his turning is very good and his scroll work is just outstanding!!!!!! Thanks Jack for the hospitality and the wood exchange with me.

The LOML Jr's birthday was the 4th of July so we all celebrated her birthday. Each year we and several of our neighbors buy fireworks and then just before dark, we all gather at a designated home and we put on a fireworks show with all the kids. Eat, drink and have fun. It's a real blast!!! The LOML wanted me to make the 4th a "family" day and spend it doing things with the kids as well as her. So that's what I did.

I hope that all of you had a fun and safe holiday weekend. So what did YOU do this weekend.?

Best of weeks to you all!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

On call last week.....it was surpisingly quiet for a change. No calls! Saturday I started putting the 3rd coat of mud on the ceiling of the shop. Sunday, I finished what I started on Saturday and spent time with wife and her parents here from Illinois. Monday morning, mowed and trimmed the lawn; washed and prepped the carport and patio for 4th cookout. Monday afternoon cookout with oldest son, wife, son's in-laws, granddaughter, my inlaws and neighbors. A good time was had by all.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well sounds like you had an eventful weekend. I worked on an office set that I have going right now. Worked on it Sat. Sun. and yesterday. I've got it all ready to do the sanding. Probably gonna get started on that this evening. I'm gonna take off the rest of the week and try to get it ready to install by this weekend. I'll try to take some pics of it and post them once I get it installed.

We should have plenty of extra material lying around town. We had quite a storm up here in this part of Arkansas yesterday afternoon. Probably came through your part of the state too but I don't know how well developed the strom was when it came through Conway. I know white county had quite a good storm too. We lost dozens of big oak trees around the community, the roof off a day care center (thank goodness it was a holiday) and lots of trees down on top of houses and even the radio station was knocked out of commission. Finally got a good rain though.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Saturday & Sunday were spent at the races, the Craftsman Trucks, ARCA and Danica Patrick with the rest of the IRL stars. Races were excellent and the weather was freat considering it was July 4th weekend in Kansas. Took my 5 YO to the Sunday IRL race, he did pretty well and I think enjoyed it.

The 4th was spent with friends and family and I also shampood carpets in the house.

The 5th is an self appointed extended holiday where I get to play a round of golf.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

That was a big committment of time to help your folks. GOOD FOR YOU!
    I worked a little on electrical Sat am after a late start. Slept in until about 9:30. A friend from work came over Sat afternoon and we built his new kitten a climbing box covered in old carpet from the attic. It wasn't pretty, but it should be functional. Kitten is starting to climb on it, so that's good. Maybe it will save Randall's plants!!
    Sunday I watched the Tour de Lance for an couple hours, worked a little finishing up in the shop on the wiring, then chilled for most of the day. During the evening I got to thinking about some of the wiring. Pulled out the old NEC I have, and yep, did a few things backwards. Monday morning straightened that out before and after breakfast. Then the LOML and I went and saw Star Wars. Very intimate theater with a hugh screen. Made it way bigger that life, but it was enjoyable. Went home and sprayed a couple gallons of stain on the fence I built last year. Jim.

I made some minor repairs to my Airstream, mowed the lawn (at least half of it), applied multiple coats of finish to a bookcase/built-in, and cooked some ribs.

Other than that I just took it easy.

-Alden

Friday (Canada Day) was spent mostly with my daughter Kathleen and my grandchildren Isla and Ethan. We visited Riverdale Farm very close to downtown Toronto, spent a couple of hours at a splash-pad near their home, then returned home where I finished the restoration of a very old shed in their backyard. I am attaching pictures of Isla helping me to paint and of the shed with the exterior work completed. Fixing the interior is a follow-up project.

Saturday, Margaret and I celebrated our 39th wedding anniversary. I am attaching a picture of a 25 year old bottle of port that we opened to celebrate and another picture of the 5 year old Canadian Cheddar cheese that we ate along with the port.

Sunday, I (almost) completed the construction of my new garden tool shed. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22018

Monday it was back to work in Canada.

I took off the day Friday to make a 4-day weekend. My daughter stayed home with me and we made a trip to the lumber store and I took her to her favorite restaruant--"Taco Bells." The rest of the weekend was spent working on two projects, the buffet and a train table (pics posted in other threads) with some fun thrown in between. Yesterday we had family over in the afternoon for a BBQ.

After spending more time than I enjoy on my deck, my motivation is low to start another project. I did spend a couple hrs in the shop cleaning up the disaster area created by the deck project.
    I will be dorking around over the next couple weeks cleaning and sharpening blades and bits as just about everything is dirty or dull. Then, I'll start on some dressers for the kids.

Jay

BTW - Congrats Frank!
    Jay St. Peter

Other than yard work and playing with the kids I was able to grout the floor for the bathroom remodel and work on the vanity. My new spray gun should be here this week so I'm hoping I can get the vanity assembled this week and ready for finishing this weekend. I'll be spraying a white semi gloss lacquer (Oxford USL).

With the kids gone, I made significant progress on getting my new UNisaw up and running. Friday, the electrician came and installed my 220v line, and my box of missing parts arrived from Delta. Spent most of the weekend getting the saw adjusted and the Jointech Saw Train installed. And I found a buyer for my Delta Contractor's Saw!

Watch for "The Unisaw Chronicles, Chapter 2", coming very soon.
    Sam/Atlanta

I did some hvlp paint spraying over the weekend. It was my first time using my new wagner sprayer so Im definitely still learning. Several of the baseboards I painted ended up with sagging & drips which will need to be sanded down and repainted.

I installed the baseboards in one room to see how they look and they look very nice. Im not looking forward to the caulking and touching up the nail holes.

--
    John Cavanaugh

I did the regular assortment of chores around the house, but also finished up four cutting boards (previous orders) and started three more (current orders). I also got my woodworking website up and running; I'll add more content as things present themselves. For now, the site (and some of my weekend accomplishments) can be seen at workingwoods.com.

We also took advantage of the view from our back yard, which is on a hill overlooking the high school half a mile away where the local fireworks show was held. We had great seats, to say the least.

- Vaughn

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    A lot of family time.

Took in the new Batman in IMAX with the baby and her old college roomie.
    A little family food and fun on Sunday.
    Got out and enjoyed the 4th with a buddy of mine. Nice out door resturant. A little antiquing.
    Life is good.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Long weekend

No woodworking, but I did spend quality time with my little boy and baby girl. Momma went out of town this past Weds and left us to fend for ourselves. We took a class at the local botanical gardens, went to storytime at the local library, took in the sights at the Fort Worth children's museum and other assorted fun till LOML's return Saturday evening. Rested up on Sunday (per the Lord), and spent yesterday entertaining some longtime friends who moved into the next small town over from us (Dallas). Burgers, Dogs, Salads (with and without green), kids running through sprinklers and tossing water balloons... a good time was had by all.
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx