Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWF question

IWF question

I have been toying with the idea of taking in IWF this year. I have never had the chance to do so in the past and am not completely sure it will fit into my schedule this year yet. If it does work out for me, what do I need to do to prepare for the event and what can I expect. I would probably be driving from Minnesota to Georgia. Any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Get a hotel room before you leave home.
    Sorry but I couldn't let that one slip by. I was there many years ago and the show is huge. See if you can get a floor plan before you arrive so you can make a plan on whom to see. With so many machines being shown, it is easy to get distracted and forget something that is important to you.

It is a huge event, mainly of interest to commercial woodworkers. I made a nice vacation out of it with my son.
    I wanted to see several machines that were not available locally, and I did get a couple show specials that paid my expenses; but would not consider going back.
    Why do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fuder View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of taking in IWF this year. I have never had the chance to do so in the past and am not completely sure it will fit into my schedule this year yet. If it does work out for me, what do I need to do to prepare for the event and what can I expect. I would probably be driving from Minnesota to Georgia. Any and all comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Not to sound snide but your mention of fitting into a schedule and then "driving from minnesota to georgia" dont really jive unless I guess your deathly afraid of flying. I am 8 hours from ATL and I wouldnt drive it unless I had planned on making a bee-bop-on-the-way vacation out of it. Fuel costs and wear and tear on a vehicle alone would cover the cost of air fare.

Some good threads over on woodweb about attending.

Wayne, here are my suggestions:

1.) If there are vendors you specifically want to visit, make a list and hit their booths first-thing. This event is huge, the Congress Center complex is expansive, and it's easy to get lost wandering around then "poof", the day is over.

2.) If a person wants questions answered about a machine or wants a demo and expects to have some time to chit-chat time, do that on Wednesday and Thursday and as early in the day as possible. Friday and Saturday and are serious wheeling/dealing days and often times, reps simply cannot get to all the folks in the booth if they are sitting down with a buyer.

3.) If a person is serious about buying a machine at a show (and I realize many folks just come to window shop/do research for later, which is totally fine...), make it abundantly clear to the rep of whatever mfr. that happens to be, that you plan to buy at the show. Doesn't matter what manufacturer it is: Every rep is under a lot of pressure to close business at the show and if they are talking to someone who who may not be a buyer and they see you walk into the booth, you want them to drop what they are doing so they can connect with you. I'm saying this because, in my experience, shop owners (which usually consist of the owner, the production mgr., as well as a few shop guys) will be doing their serious buying on Friday and on Saturday afternoons. Cannot tell you the number of times those guys will sit you down and take up an hour or more, since they will have questions about leasing, machinery packages, etc.

Point being that for those of us who are private ww'ers, please realize that the show is geared toward the industry and the "one guy wandering around the booth" may not get attention on Friday and Saturday afternoon unless a rep recognizes him. Hope this makes sense.

All that being said, it's a great show and everyone should have it on their bucket list.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

+1 for What Mr. Loza said.

Check out
    http://www.iwfatlanta.com/
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

There are also itinerary builder tools on the IWF site that allow you to create an agenda. Useful if you plan on attending any of the sessions.
    http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/iwf/my...in.aspx?Role=A

Bring comfy shoes!

comfortable shoes. We like to stay in Smyrna nice places and not to far from the convention center

Can't go this year due to scheduling conflicts. We usually stay over in Buckhead (Country Inns and Suites on Sidney Marcus Blvd.) Buy a pass, and ride MARTA to show. Bus stops at foot of stairs at hotel, and Linbergh Center is only three blocks away. Catch train from Linbergh to Five Points, transfer to west bound line, and get off at next station. You will have to either walk thru CNN Center, or around Phillips Arena to get to show. From show, when returning, it doesn't matter which north bound train you get on at Five Points, as both go to Linbergh Center. Catch bus (Buford Hwy route) at Linbergh back to hotel. Across the street from hotel is a Target store if you need anything. Pizza Hut and other eateries are right down street. Highland Hardware ( a must go see) is a couple miles away.

The World Congress Center is so large you can see the curvature of the earth.

All kidding aside, yes, set aside at least two days, three if you're the type to gawk a little.

Mostly it is commercial machines, but seeing a single booth that's as big as some commercial shops, it's impressive.

I asked a similar question back in January and was dissuaded from going. You might want to read that thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...13038-Iwf-2014

There was also a similar thread a couple of weeks ago in the "off topic" forum. It proved very similar to the one posted above.

Been here since Sunday for setup/ test n' tune. Show looks good. Decent number of manufacturers, definitely on the upswing from a few years back. Machinery hall dominated by CNC centers.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

+2 what Erik Loza said. I, along with 3 coworkers, will be there Friday and Saturday. We each have a list of things that the "company" needs/wants. We map out the show, indicating the booths we want to hit, then divide the show up into four (as best we can, it is huge) sections. Each of us takes a section and attempts to stop by as many booths as possible before lunch. We meet for lunch for discussion of additions/deletions to the list. If there is a group "must see" we go to that booth after lunch and then split up again. If there is no group must see, we head back to our sections after lunch. We will regroup on Friday night. Saturday is more separate/group, depending on how things go, booth stops. Friday and Saturday are truly wheel and deal days at the show. This system has worked for us in the past, but with over 8000 vendors this year . . . well, we'll see. Book a foot massage at your hotel for the nights you are there.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

We are mostly interested in the tool side. We are looking for new products for our website. We only do about half the show.

Big machines in the middle. Little companies with new stuff tend to be on the outer edges.

We start Thursday afternoon. We go in the door, turn right and work a grid. We make appointments for Friday with Vendors.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all working meals.

Saturday we catch what is left and cruise the other side.

I tease the Walzcraft guy about being the side of the family that has money. He tells me that I tell him that every show.

Sometimes we get treated really well at a booth and sometimes we get treated poorly. If we get treated poorly we just keep our money in our pockets and move on.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Did not have much time to browse the hall but from a vendor's perspective, the show was a huge success. Tons of traffic, night-and-day difference from 2 years ago. Seems like the ww'ing market is definitely on the way back up again. Good news for everyone.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA