Thread: Help with ratchet crimp tool for electric connectors

Help with ratchet crimp tool for electric connectors

I need to invest in a ratcheting crimp tool.
    Can anyone tell me what is the difference in the Klien vs Greenlee? (I know the die is different in the examples linked to) Just seems to be a big price difference and I am not familiar with hand tools for electric work.
    I would have expected the Klien to be much more expensive. What am I over looking and any buying advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-45501...rimpers&dpPl=1

http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VDV212-8...rimpers&dpPl=1
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-01-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Add links
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Dave,

In the 40 years I worked in electronics, Greenlee was considered the ultimate and yet Klein was a good, reliable, long lasting tool.

If equivalent dies are available for both crimpers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Greenlee is made overseas and Klien makes most everything in the USA yet. You would need to check if that crimper is made in the USA or not.

check the specs to see which tool are longer

How often/many times do you plan to use it? I bought the cheapest one they had at Lowes (same style as what you posted but still not "cheap"... $40, I think?...) and it worked fine for me. But I may use it only a dozen times during my life. I feel the same way about stuff like this as I do about Snap-On hand tools: The guy who uses it every day and for his living probably has a different expectation than a weekend warrior like me. Just my 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    How often/many times do you plan to use it? I bought the cheapest one they had at Lowes (same style as what you posted but still not "cheap"... $40, I think?...) and it worked fine for me. But I may use it only a dozen times during my life. I feel the same way about stuff like this as I do about Snap-On hand tools: The guy who uses it every day and for his living probably has a different expectation than a weekend warrior like me. Just my 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    This ^^^^^

I purchased a minimal-cost version of all of my crimping tools (not the cheapest, but definitely low on the cost scale), and I have crimped a LOT of connections over the years. I still haven't worn any of them out, and the crimps are still great.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik Loza

Minimax USA
    I'm with you about buying what will work for your needs. I just thought I may be overlooking something because the Kline is cheaper than the no name brand available at the local auto parts store. Kinda like seeing a Festool drill selling for the price of Ryobi.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-02-2014 at 2:30 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Look at Knipex, best pliers & Dikes out there
    J Load