Thread: Color filling rough-sawn wood

Color filling rough-sawn wood

Hi all. I've come up with a dilemma and I thought maybe someone on here had figured it out already. I'm trying to color fill rough-sawn plywood for a rustic wedding album, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to use something to seal the engraved areas without affecting the rustic nature of the wood. (I'll be using a vinegar/steel wool solution to age it prior to engraving, and don't want my sealer to affect color or texture.)

I searched the threads and found a lot of unique ways to seal sanded wood for filling, but I haven't found anything on this. Any thoughts? I ordered some masking, but am guessing it won't stick.

Thanks in advance! (The blue area is a cut out to show colored cardstock sewn in to the first page of the book, and the white is what I'm hoping to figure out how to fill.)

Tammy
    draft 3-01.jpg

Tammy,
    Might be worth a try, once you have board ready prior to engraving.
    1) spray a seal coat over entire board (flat, satin, shiny lacquer or other finish)
    2) let dry thoroughly
    3) then mask area to be lasered
    4) hope for zero bleed through!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I have no experience with this product but I think this is probably your best bet: http://www.laserbits.com/laser-supplies/liquamask.html

Remember to seal the engraved wood BEFORE painting it.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Blog Entries
    Tammy,

It is hard to tell from the photo how rough that surface is?

As Bruce mentioned. The problem you will face is the color fill bleeding into the surrounding rough wood. Gonna be really hard to deal with that I think.

Since this is a one off product, you could handpaint the color fill. Then you are not concerned about having to seal the rough sawn wood.

Or, make a resist of the lettering where the resist is a positive of the letters. Engrave your lettering, apply your fill and be somewhat careful applying it, but not overly concerned with spill over. apply the resist to the letters when the fill is dry. And lightly sandblast or if you prefer, light wire brush the wood surface to clean off any spill over and accentuate the grain of the wood. You would not have a rough sawn effect though, you would have a deep grain effect. That might be equally attractive though.

Beyond that I am not sure of a surface treatment you could apply to the rough sawn wood that would not look like a finish. Others may be able to help though!!!

Sounds like a lovely cover for the book! Show us a good photo when you are done!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Thank you for the ideas. I hadn't thought about the deep grain effect vs. rough sawn. That might be an option. I also hadn't thought about flooding the entire board with a matte finish of some kind. The board will be very rough, so I am a little worried about a liquid mask adhering and getting stuck in the splintery parts of the board. I'll play with some options this weekend and let you guys know if I find anything that works.

Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Or, make a resist of the lettering where the resist is a positive of the letters. Engrave your lettering, apply your fill and be somewhat careful applying it, but not overly concerned with spill over. apply the resist to the letters when the fill is dry. And lightly sandblast or if you prefer, light wire brush the wood surface to clean off any spill over and accentuate the grain of the wood. You would not have a rough sawn effect though, you would have a deep grain effect.
    Dave
    Thats a great idea to experiment with, thanks Dave
    Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    Hey John!! Good to hear from you! Haven't chatted with you in a while!!

Pop a photo on the thread if you do get to play with it and let us know how it works!!

Hope all is well with your summer up there in Yorkshire!!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Sorry for the super late reply. I ended up talking the client out of it and into something not quite so "experimental", so no pics to show!
    Universal VLS 3.50 30 W CO2 Laser with cutting table, rotary attachment, and homemade exhaust table
    Roland rotary engraver EGX-30a
    Silhouette Portrait vinyl cutter
    Chinese 15x15" Heat press
    Craftsman 17" drill press
    Eastwood powder coating gun with homemade exhaust cabinet
    Small Harbor Freight Sandblaster
    Shop full of hubby's power tools
    ULS One Touch Photo
    Adobe Creative Suite CC