Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed putting a tire on a 21" band saw

Help needed putting a tire on a 21" band saw

I have a 21" band saw I use to cut wood for my wood lathe. I need to replace the tires on the 21" wheels. I have bought 21" tires from two different places and they are way, way too small. I know the tires need to be maybe 20% smaller, but these are 50+% smaller than the wheel. Even though I have soaked these tires in hot water, I have broken two of them trying to stretch them on.
    I can't believe it's that hard.
    Anyone have that experience? Any suggestions? Any place you would suggest I buy 21" tires from? Thanks.

2. Sounds like someone gave you 12" tires and got the number inverted! I would try Carter and get someone on the phone to talk to.....they specialize in bandsaw items.........likely they can give you all the info you need to get a good fit!

I don't think I can give you a direct active link due to the TOS agreement here on SMC but you can look up Carter Products dot Com and see the link for bandsaw tires and wheels..........these folks are experts! Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the help, I will check on the Carter company. Here is a picture of the tire and the wheel. Doesn't it seem like the tire is too small?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just checked with the Carter Co. and they said they did not make tires for a 21" wheel.

If that yellow tire is rubber, it should stretch enough (it will not be easy). I used hand clamps on the wheel to trap the tire from sliding off the starting points while I stretched the tire.

I have not installed any polyurethane tires but understand that they don't stretch as much; if that is a polyurethane tire, I am guessing that it is too small.

Here is a picture of the tire I got from Grizzly, It has no stretch to it. I soaked it in very hot water, still no stretch to it. I broke one trying to put it on.

Need help with putting a new tire on a 21" band saw wheel

I have ordered tires from two places for my 21" band saw. The tires appear to be too small. Even after soaking in hot water, they would not go on. I broke both trying to stretch them on the 21" wheel.
    Any suggestions? I asked Carter and they said they don't make 21" tires.
    Here is a picture of both tires and the wheel.

try Itura design in Florida. They know all there is to know about band saws.

I'm assuming you are trying to stretch a 20" bandsaw tire onto 21" bandsaw wheel... Am I right? You'd be stretching those tires and extra 3.14". 21" bandsaw is an odd size.

Maybe this link will help:

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/uret...rice-list.html

They mention they make tire for odd sizes. I don't know much about them.

Just wondering, did you order the tires from the Mfg. or at least the same part number?

Now I see your other Post, what's up with that?
    Last edited by Alan Gan; 08-01-2014 at 11:41 PM.

You can order from Sulfer Grove if its an odd size..

You can probably make them fit with 3 clamps. Basically you clamp the tire to the wheel, really tight.. then stretch.. really far.. maybe an 8" section.. Clamp it tight.. Then repeat..

It will actually start to seem like the tires are a bit loose..

Urethane based hair spray helps keep the tires from creeping..

I would go for it ..

Hot water was irrelevant to me .. Clamp, stretch, clamp, stretch..

Looks like you double posted somehow since there are two of the same thread going right now. Mods?

Blog Entries
    Try Suffolk Machine They don't list a 21" tire, but they may be able to make you a custom one. Give them a call.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Hansen View Post
    try Itura design in Florida. They know all there is to know about band saws.
    +1 for Jose.

I call him first, and buy from his stock when possible.
    He'll steer you straight.

Yeah, the tires stretch, but it takes a LOT of force to do it. How did you break the tire? You must have gotten a nick on it, or something.

Anyhow, yes, the 21" tires are a royal pain to get on. FAR harder than any other tire I've ever had to install. It also seems like practically no one makes a 21" tire, which leads me to believe that no one actually makes a 21" tire and that what you end up with is a 20" tire, and that makes it even more difficult.

It's tough to tell by looking if that's too small, but from memory it seems about right on a 21" wheel.