Thread: My saws to rehab, sometime

My saws to rehab, sometime

I was looking through my barrel of old saws trying to decide which saw I wanted to rehab next. Most of them are Disston saws that only need minor cleaning and sharpening. Anyway I thought I would show my addiction for everyone to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larry,

yes! You are addicted and sick, sick, sick!

I, good hearted soul that I am, am willing to help. Send at least a dozen of them to me, and I will make sure that they get good homes with woodworkers who will promise to love them. After that send a few more.

I am not sure there is a lot of hope for you, and think there are.....ah.....others too........ Some are on this site that have similar afflictions, but I think that these two steps can help you.

Again others have the same sickness but not me......no.........not me.......well....well......at least I have a few less saws to fix up.....maybe not a lot less......but less.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-01-2014 at 9:39 PM.

Is that an atkins, fourth from right, top row?

Do you have any orphans or particularly rare-ish ones in there? Some of my favorites are the ones like Hudson Tool, Athena, etc, or the old richardson brothers saws that have a big proud hardware store etch on them, too. But they are practically worthless to restore because the lack of name recognition makes them worth little (excluding the richardson bros saws, those do fine).

There is even a couple of stainless steel Disston No. 240 metal cutting saws in the pile. And a Disston toy saw made with the same wood and steel as the full size hand saws and just as sharp.

Larry, I will say this, the saws you have to rehab are a lot better saws than the ones I have to work on. Mine are mostly old Disston D-8s.

In fact, some of the ones in your "before pile" look as good as some of the ones in my "after pile."

Is the toy saw the one in the top row on the left? I've seen one or two of those but did not know they were toys, I thought they were just small special purpose saws of some kind.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 08-01-2014 at 11:55 PM.

Okay, I feel better now.

P1040833.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Larry McGarrah View Post
    I was looking through my barrel of old saws trying to decide which saw I wanted to rehab next. Most of them are Disston saws that only need minor cleaning and sharpening. Anyway I thought I would show my addiction for everyone to see.
    Those are some lovely saws. I am full of envy.

Looks like a great starter set.

mark

fourth from the right, top row - looks like a Disston D100. A great saw and one of my favorites.
    pat

Blog Entries
    Saw.JPG What's up with top right, one saw down with the metal piece finishing out the bottom of the handle? Is this an old repair or is that the way the saw was sold?

I love the D8 with the thumbhole. I have a Wenzloff blade that I plan to make a D8 for, and also a Wenzloff crosscut that I have yet to decide which handle to put on, but it will be made from the same wood so I have a matched set of rip/crosscut.

Early Disston with a copper strap repair to the handle. My aunt painted a barn on the reverse.

looks like a Disston No. 42. I have the No 43 which has a level with it. the shape of the handle is more ornate than the 38. that one is worth repairing. A good source of matching wood is an old disston level of the same era. you can also get vials if you are repairing a 43 or 39.

Nice saws
    pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Saw.JPG What's up with top right, one saw down with the metal piece finishing out the bottom of the handle? Is this an old repair or is that the way the saw was sold?

I love the D8 with the thumbhole. I have a Wenzloff blade that I plan to make a D8 for, and also a Wenzloff crosscut that I have yet to decide which handle to put on, but it will be made from the same wood so I have a matched set of rip/crosscut.

Blog Entries
    Larry,

You have good taste in saws my friend! There's some real beauties in that pile that will make excellent users!

Regrettably, yes, you are quite clearly afflicted with "a bad hand saw problem". I prescribe sharpening, a saw bench and lots of hand tool work!

As David mentioned: "Some of my favorites are the ones like Hudson Tool, Athena, etc, or the old richardson brothers saws that have a big proud hardware store etch on them", virtually all of these hardware store brand saws were manufactured by the leading saw makers of the time, Disston, Atkins, EC Simmons, etc. I personally love these saws exactly because of the prominent etchs, which are typically a little more extravagant than the original manufacturers, and you typically get a lot more bang for the block precisely because they aren't sought after by most collectors.

You can usually tell by the pattern of the tote, saw nuts and plate which model of the manufacturer's line these are "copies" of. Typically these aren't "copies" in the true sense of the word as these "hardware store brands" are identical in material, manufacturing process and final finishing to the manufacturer's model – Only the etch is different.

One suggestion for "behavioral management" of your hand saw affliction, I highly recommend avoiding late-night perusing of the auction sites after a few cocktails. I have recent firsthand experience this is extremely dangerous! I recently managed to restore and tuneup the bulk of the "rusty treasures" that have been hanging in the rafters for years. In a moment of weakness I dramatically "fell off the wagon" at the MJD site. As someone who lives in the "hand tool desert" of Southern California, my saws were typically acquired one at a time at yard sales etc., mostly by friends (the enablers!). I've always envied my fellow neanders and in other parts of the country with their tales of acquiring a big lot of saws from some old barn – sounds like the equivalent of a treasure hunt and Christmas morning - digging through the assorted Rust to find the buried treasures.

I'd really forgotten about visiting the MJD site, so imagine my surprise when four boxes of hand saws from the recent auction showed up at my door! I definitely have some "splaning" to do once the LOML sees the saws piled in the garage.

BTW, this was my first experience buying from a tool auction. After sorting the wheat from the chaff, when I add in the "buyer's premium" from the auction and shipping costs, I probably could've done just as well buying these in ones and twos from the mega auction site. Lesson learned –for now, these are definitely going back into the rafters until after I do some real woodworking.

All the best, Mike