Thread: walnut vase

walnut vase

Here is a picture of the walnut vase I posted with the other bowls I had in the sale last week. It sold with several other items. It is 15" tall finished with many coats of deft and buffed. It has just a touch of bark on one side.
    Jack

Great form and finish - and interesting wood to boot!

I always know when I click on a Jack Mincey post I'm gonna see something sweet. No let down here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Superb work, finish and wood. Nice jug for sure.

very nice finish work..nice shape & great wood..gotta be a winner!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Jack,

Very nice vase. Have you ever left bark on a walnut piece before? I did this on a bowl once and it looked good like yours however after a few years it turned black and quite ugly. It may have been the finish I put on it so I was wondering if you have had done this more than once and what the secret to keeping it looking as it does.

Ditto on the superb! It really is a beauty

Very nice piece. Your shape is spot on, along with the finish and the wood.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Steve

9. Jack, these were my favorites in your 1st posting, the proportions are so perfect and the finish looks like glass. Looking at it, it give the impression of pure elegance and balance, like the room was made for the vase instead of the vase being made for the room.

Really nice piece. Is that a branch sticking out through the sapwood? I guess it must be. Looks neat.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    I always know when I click on a Jack Mincey post I'm gonna see something sweet. No let down here.
    I thought the same thing when I saw this. Jack, that's a beauty. The bark layers really look good in contrast with the light sapwood. Walnut has so much personality. You hit on about all of it with this vase.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Paul, What looks like where a limb was is actually just bark turned down and finished over. I hope that it stays nice as shinny where the bark is for the customer. I don't see why it would not. This wood is from a tree that has been laying on the side of a highway near a house for more than 5 years. I always thought that the land owners grandson was going to have it cut into lumber "he is a shop teacher like I use to be". She told me sometime last year that I could have it if I could use it, if not they were going to cut it up for firewood. After finishing this form up I'm very glad that I was able to save it. The one streak in it is where it is starting to rot like spalting in other woods. I will be making more forms like it and maybe just a little larger if I can. The people at the sale I was at wanted large forms and didn't really care how much they cost.
    Thanks Again,
    Jack Mincey