Thread: Laser Etching (cutting) Corian

Blog Entries

Question Laser Etching (cutting) Corian

Hello! I finally got my registration approved here! Long couple of days getting that done but Keith finally gave it the thumbs up .

Anyway, one of the questions I wanted to ask was... After reading of the issues with PVC based plastics (chlorine off-gassing), is Corian and its various knockoffs safe to work with in a laser etcher?

My air handling system is ample. I have the 6" exhaust tubing going to a cutoff gate which is attached to a large box mounted over a basement window. Inside that box facing out is a scavenged squirrel cage from an AC unit. The motor is on the outside of the box connected via belt so it can't interact with the dust or flammable gasses and spark a fire. I used this system (made the bottom hinged and can open) for evacuating overspray from coatings and as a downdraft sanding table exhaust. I am pretty confident the system can move enough air through the laser cutter to prevent significant gas/vapor buildup.

There is no PVC present in Corian Solid Surface Material. Always go to check the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for any material you are not sure of.

Dust created when lasing is the only concern. Make sure to clean optics and bearing surfaces after working on corian, insuring as not to scratch surfaces.

Since I have a 25 W, cutting through a 3/4" thick piece of Corian is futile. but a table saw has no problem. then a light sanding and buffing cleans it right up for presentation.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Thank you Mark. Good call on the MSDS. Didn't think of that.

I am also a photographer so I already had a good clue about the lens care. I bought a Giattos Rocket for the laser machine along with a microfiber lens cloth and lint free swabs from a local photo store. I am keeping them in a sealed plastic (dollar tree) storage box to insure they remain clean and dust free.

Mine is rated at 50w, but I somehow doubt its anything more than 40w. Got an idea on corian thickness I can work in? I would also like to know a good starting point for mm/S speed and power settings for both cutting and etching. Would really appreciate it if someone could get me in the ballpark.

Mike,

You won't be able to get a quality cut on 1/2" thick Corian with 50 watts, it will take several passes at full power and leave a very messy edge.

The link below will take you to my Corian sign Gallery here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=719

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Mike,

You won't be able to get a quality cut on 1/2" thick Corian with 50 watts, it will take several passes at full power and leave a very messy edge.

The link below will take you to my Corian sign Gallery here.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=719
    I had seen your work on your website (when I was trying to get registered and not deleted, I poked around your gallery there). I guess I will stick to square stuff and cut it on the table saw or chop saw or make templates from MDF and shape it using a router with a guide bearing. Some sanding on the edges then play with engraving. I was hoping to get to cutting complex shapes from it for some art projects. But, hey, I know I got a low end machine. I just gotta learn where the lines are in capability.

Just a little nitpick, "etching" is a chemical process. There may be a more correct term for what we do with a laser but I think "engraving" is most appropriate.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Before I bought my first CNC Router I was rough cutting sign blanks on my band saw then template routing the edge. This process is a bit slow but it works and you can produce complex shapes. I was machining the keyholes on my mill/drill in those days as well.