Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CerMark, which type, liquid or spray?

Blog Entries

CerMark, which type, liquid or spray?

I wanted to get my first batch of CerMark and its not cheap. I am looking at marking on gun parts (slides, grips, frames, triggers, etc), knife blades and other small metal objects. Which would be more economical as far as least waste, the aerosol cans or the liquid that you dilute and brush on?

Gut is telling me to order the liquid as it totally avoids any form of overspray. It also lets me paint it exactly where I want it. But there is that foam brush that can waste a considerable amount of paint cleaning it out. The aerosol can seems much easier to use and appears to be a more uniform coat.

Thoughts?

Are there other marking products out there? I saw TherMark but not impressed with the way it wipes off if you accidentally touch it when placing or moving the coated item.

I have had problems with cermark my self. I just got the spray and so far it for me want the laser to run much slower the get the image etched. On the liquid I could run at aroun 200mm a sec. On this spray which looks just the same I am running at 10mm or less?

Any suggestions out there?

I use the rattle can. Just more convenient. Price the job accordingly. I've used the mix with an refillable aerosol --- pain. with an airbrush - much better control and least waste. Collect unused film during wash down, let water evaporate then reuse......hardly no waste.

I would start with the can..... collect unused material and then re-mix and brush on/airbursh. now you have tried both methods and can tell us which you like better..
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    I use the rattle can. Just more convenient. Price the job accordingly. I've used the mix with an refillable aerosol --- pain. with an airbrush - much better control and least waste. Collect unused film during wash down, let water evaporate then reuse......hardly no waste.

I would start with the can..... collect unused material and then re-mix and brush on/airbursh. now you have tried both methods and can tell us which you like better..
    Thats a novel idea sir! I could wash the item in a wash basin and then pour the water through a coffee filter to re-cycle the material. Totally worth the attempt, nothing lost in trying.

Btw, this is a hobby at this point, not a job. If I make a few bucks on the side with the machine cutting/marking/etching, so be it. I got a 9-5 I am reasonably happy with (15y at it).

I hated the spray can. It was wasteful and a bit tricky to get a nice, even, light coat. We don't do a ton of Cermark but the paste with a foam brush hasn't let us down yet. As for collecting it, I just don't see it being required. $70 of Cermark should easily allow you to do thousands in engraving.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

easy solution for the foam brush.....

just don't wash it each time. Re-wet it each time in the cermark solution, works for me.

cheers,
    Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

I do quite a lot of Cermark work. For most I use 1" disposable foam brushes and I dispose of them when finished. If the job calls for spray I use an air brush. I do not try to reclaim any Cermark--my time is worth more than that. I buy 250 gram jars which is enough to do several thousand dollars worth of engraving. In other words if you are operating a business Cermark is one of the most profitable materials you can use.

I agree with Ross--the spray can is wasteful.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-04-2014 at 8:09 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Well I have yet to get cermark 6000 to work right for me on aluminum. I have done stainless steel and that worked fine. But billet milled aluminum will not leave a dark mark. Very frustrating.
    Last edited by Clark Pace; 08-04-2014 at 2:29 PM.

Clark

i had had the same experience.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Well I have yet to get cermark 6000 to work right for me on aluminum. I have done stainless stell and that worked fine. But billet milled aluminum will not leave a dark mark. Very frustrating.
    Try cleaning the aluminum with a kitchen scrubber sponge, then denatured alcohol. I'm guessing anything less than a 35watt would have issues.

Note: You need to add your machine specs to your signature - It helps when asking questions.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 08-04-2014 at 9:25 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Try cleaning the aluminum with a kitchen scrubber sponge, then denatured alcohol. I'm guessing anything less than a 35watt would have issues.

Note: You need to add your machine specs to your signature - It helps when asking questions.
    Well, not to derail my own thread...

I assume you were referring to me, I am not sure what to put there. I don't have a name brand laser like most of yall do. I am not a commercial shop, just a home hobbyist trying to eek out as much information about this as I can and have fun making hobby projects for myself and my family. I am not planning to do this as a commercial venture other than odd jobs on the side.

This is what I bought (I was told that an ebay link is a nono but I can put the item number as a reference)...
    Ebay 171046049521

If you would like to offer a suggestion as to what to put in my sig that will fit yall's expectations, I will happily oblige. Though, keep it mod friendly

Sound silly but where to I go to add a signature?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    Sound silly but where to I go to add a signature?
    Woohoo! One I can answer!

Look at the very top of the page here. Click "Settings".

Then on the left menu "Edit Signature"

On Airbrushing cermark, would gravity or siphon feed be better ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared nemec View Post
    On Airbrushing cermark, would gravity or siphon feed be better ?
    Siphon feed for me because the gravity feed cup that came with my airbrush doesn't have a lid and you will need to shake your Cermark while you spray otherwise the solids end up settling.