Thread: New Location for my Lathe

New Location for my Lathe

Thanks for some of the post here I got good advice from the experts on where to place the lathe. As you can see I limited to half of our 2-1/2 car garage for my tools. I originally had it against the wall where that router table and beverage making system is. I also had a small frig and rolling cabinet with my Tormek in that area. The RT used to be between the lathe at the wall and my workbench at the right (that is not in the photo). I recently sold my seldom used drum sander and it allowed me to relocate the frig and sharpening station so I could find some open space for the lathe. The RT houses many lathe tools so it's in a nice home now. I can now get to both sides of the lathe and have no wall to hit with my tool handles or tool rest. This may even allow me to get the lathe accessory to turn off the end:

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Nice looking shop! I'm curious about the castors on your lathe - got a link? Are they the Great Lakes leveling castors for less than $20 each or the more expensive $40 or so ones? How easy are they to transition up to rollers?

thanks
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Prouty View Post
    Nice looking shop! I'm curious about the castors on your lathe - got a link? Are they the Great Lakes leveling castors for less than $20 each or the more expensive $40 or so ones? How easy are they to transition up to rollers?

thanks
    Jon
    I love these casters. When I have to move the lathe it glides easily over my rough concrete floor. I bought them somewhat locally from Access Casters. They were: 2P80S 2" Leveling Caster Hexagon Top Plate Item# 2P80S. Not cheap, they were about $23/ea. so about $110 shipped. If you have the $ after buying these casters I found "Lift Lock and Roll" mobility system (see Craft Supplies).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I love these casters. When I have to move the lathe it glides easily over my rough concrete floor. I bought them somewhat locally from Access Casters. They were: 2P80S 2" Leveling Caster Hexagon Top Plate Item# 2P80S. Not cheap, they were about $23/ea. so about $110 shipped. If you have the $ after buying these casters I found "Lift Lock and Roll" mobility system (see Craft Supplies).

Mike

so mike i too am curious about those castors
    the lathe stable enough??
    or do you get any walking while using them with heavy off balance stuff??
    just an allen wrench to raise and lower the wheels i assume???

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    so mike i too am curious about those castors
    the lathe stable enough??
    or do you get any walking while using them with heavy off balance stuff??
    just an allen wrench to raise and lower the wheels i assume???
    Very stable. There are star wheels that you turn to raise and lower the feet.

We have a new advertiser here that may be able to help you guys with your castors. You might contact them and let them know you are Members of The Creek.....maybe there would be a special discount it doesn't hurt to inquire.

http://www.needcasters.com/

so Mike why did you choose the smaller of the three sizes??
    2"over the 2 1/2" or 3 "??

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    so Mike why did you choose the smaller of the three sizes??
    2"over the 2 1/2" or 3 "??
    Allen - the lathe weighs about 700#. Each of the 2" casters is rated at 550#. The 2-1/2" casters are rated at 1300# which is a little over kill but also this caster will raise the lathe about another 1".

Mike