Thread: Which Ridgid X2 Cordless Drill?

Which Ridgid X2 Cordless Drill?

I am going to be purchasing a Ridgid X2 cordless drill soon and am trying to decide which one I should get. Here are some of the considerations I am making.

First, the drills under consideration are the 18V X2 and the 14V X2.

Second, assume that the price difference between the two does not matter in the consideration o this purchase.

Third, consider what I will be using this for. I do a lot of general woodworking in my shop. This includes building various simple and prettier pieces of furniture. I also do a lot of general home improvement and remodelling. Recently I built a garden bench and arbor out of redwood for my sister.

Fourth, consider weight. Normally this whole question of "which drill" would be silly as I would automatically go with the more powerful drill. However, I had a 18V Firestorm cordless drill that died a while back, and the extra weight was annoying.

Lastly, anything else that I should be considering? I hear that the X2 drills are great, and since I have a thing for Ridgid tools, that works for me as well.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

BTW. The 18V hammer drill is pretty much of of the consideration since I already have a plenty powerful corded hammer drill (also by ridgid)...
    Paul Thompson, Ardmore OK

Paul, I have the 18v X2 and the now gone 12v X2. Both are great tools, and I've done a lot with them that really surprised me. BUT, your comment about the weight just won't coincide with the X2's of any flavor. Even the 12v is heavy. Go pick up both of them. If weight is truely a big consideration, I'm afraid you will not be happy with either of these. Otherwise, get the 18v X2. Just don't expect to be able to hold it sideways without it bobbing and weaving!! Jim.

edit: By the way, I've meant to say this to you before when you've posted, and just never got around to it...I'm originally from Ada. Still have inlaws there, and my parents now live on Texhoma, just off of Willis Point by the OU Biological Lab.

Small world, eh?

Thanks for your response about the drills. I suppose one has to accept the weight as a consequence of the better quality, durability, etc, of the ridgid drills.

And I'd love to do more of the drooling over them in person. Unfortunately, I am 35-40 minutes from the nearest home depot, so I probably won't make it down there until I am actually ready to buy.

Sorry for the duplicate threads. Please vote for your choice of drills in this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22033