Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: torsion box not flat

A slight crown in the center may be ideal. If supported at the four corners and maybe around the perimeter with an apron, even a torsion box will sag in the center. Especially one made entirely of MDF.

So tell people the crown was intentional.

You really should look up "router sled". It's dead simple to make and use one. One example: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/f...tharouter.aspx It's just a mechanical process, nothing hard to construct or control about it nor does it make a mess, but it will make a lot of dust unless you connect it to a vacuum.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    I think I have actually overestimated the warp.
    Well now you tell us. We're about to go to blows here over a sixteenth of an inch.

Sounds like you have a 1/32" or less hump in the middle.

Time to start makin' stuff.

One question just for my knowledge-

Does the bottom perfectly mimic the top? ie, a slight dip?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    You don't need much of a straight edge to see if you're off by 1/16" Any straight jointed piece of wood will do. Lay it on a sheet of paper, draw a line along the edge, flip it over and draw another on top of the first. If it's off by 1/16" it'll be easy to see. When the two lines form one line, you have a straight edge that's good enough for a lot of applications.

John
    In order for the OP to use this technique, he would need a sheet of paper that is 7 feet long. remember the alleged discrepancy is over a very long distance. A foot long straight edge is of no use.

One easy way to measure linearity is to tightly stretch a string on the diagonal above the surface that is very accurately positioned on both ends and then use a ruler along the string to measure discrepancies. Repeat the procedure on the opposite diagonal and that will give you a pretty good idea of how far off the surface is from flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    In order for the OP to use this technique, he would need a sheet of paper that is 7 feet long. remember the alleged discrepancy is over a very long distance. A foot long straight edge is of no use.

One easy way to measure linearity is to tightly stretch a string on the diagonal above the surface that is very accurately positioned on both ends and then use a ruler along the string to measure discrepancies. Repeat the procedure on the opposite diagonal and that will give you a pretty good idea of how far off the surface is from flat.
    W/o trying to sound like a smart axx, they make paper a lot longer than 7 feet. I always have a roll of paper in my shop that's about 3 feet wide. I use it for all kinds of tasks from covering my workbench to making full size layouts, to covering the floor in my temporary spray booth.

Everyone needs a long straight edge; in fact, several of different length, and there's no need to spend money for them when you don't need micron accuracy. I have one, for example, that fits perfectly inside door jambs. I made it as I described above, and it's off by an amount I can't measure which makes it plenty good enough for many woodworking uses. I'm sure your string technique works and might be the right tool of choice for some applications, but a straightedge is just a lot faster and easier to use most of the time.

John

7. Is the high spot on the side you put on the floor when gluing or is it the part that was under the books?
    if it is the part under the books, was there an equivalent high spot in the "stuffing" before you placed the top?

if the high spot is in the side that was on the floor, is there an equivalent low spot in the floor?

Blog Entries
    This is a good case for asking the ultimate first question; "what happens if I do nothing?" Once you have decided that you must do something, there are a good number of suggestions here. Speaking as someone who shims things to get them level in his own shop I can relate to having no empirical reference surface on which to build a flat surface to build things on. Nudging a 4x6 piece of MDF around on a shimmed reference surface is an opportunity for something to go slightly wrong.

As for surfacing MDF with a router, yes you can but, I suggest you do so on a scrap first and see what finish you might use to "reseal" the exposed MDF to a degree that you are happy with. MDF does not come "sealed" but the process does leave the outer surface nice and smooth as opposed to say, the inside of a dado cut in the same material. My MDF workbench is just BLO'd and paste waxed. I have beat on that surface for years and it still look pretty decent so, a penetrating finish and some elbow grease can make things very workable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    One question just for my knowledge-

Does the bottom perfectly mimic the top? ie, a slight dip?
    Good question. When I initially assessed the flatness, it seemed dead on. When I flipped the box, I discovered the lack of flatness. The box weighs close to 200 pounds, so it it not easy to flip it to test my initial assessment.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    Good question. When I initially assessed the flatness, it seemed dead on. When I flipped the box, I discovered the lack of flatness. The box weighs close to 200 pounds, so it it not easy to flip it to test my initial assessment.
    Simple, turn it back over and be done.

Maybe an outer frame that allows it to pivot.......faceframe clamps on one side,other side gets used for assembly or whatever?....or not.

If not wanting the flip table,I'd run it crown up for a few months,then check it again.You can check the plane with wires in an "X" pattern.Use gage blocks on corners.Best of luck.

12. I just made my own torsion box top (36 x 48) and am having a similar issue.

I thought everything was flat, but when I check with a straightedge, there is a cup in the middle of the table that varies between 0.01 and 0.02.

The table is constructed of 1/2" MDF grid and skins, and then another 3/4" melamine top with two t-tracks. I haven't mounted the melamine yet, but I plan on running a couple of strips of masking tape down the center of the MDF as a shim. I figure a couple of pieces should bring the whole surface to <0.01, which I would think should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulh Tremblay View Post
    Several posters question my need for such a flat surface....A few practical needs include placing a table base on it to test if the table would wobble, or gluing up 3/4''' strips of plywood, face to face, to make a table top, and wanting the result to be flat.
    Take your straight edge and lay it on any floor in your house and tell me if it's perfectly flat? Trust me, the framers didn't shim the floor joists or plane the subfloor or knock down the high spots on the foundation wall to be within thousands of an inch! Sometimes we get caught up on things that don't matter in the real world.