Thread: Kitchen sink base tilt our drawer pull options

Kitchen sink base tilt our drawer pull options

I'm starting the cabinets on my whole-house remodel. The original kitchen sink cabinet had a false drawer front that was (originally) vented, and the lower part of the face frame and doors were inset - both features I thought were pretty cool (and vintage).

Here's the original cabinet and the drawing of the cabinet I am building:

IMG_0757.jpg SketchUpScreenSnapz035.png

The horizontal lines on the front of the false front are actually saw kerfs cut for (I am assuming) ventilation. They were painted over on the original (at least 5 coats in 54 years), but still showed as being a recess.

The false front for the original was rabbeted and then nailed into place. I'm considering the same rabbeted design, but also adding tilt-out hardware and a tray.

Now, if I can even find tilt-out hardware for a rabbeted false front (assuming that it is made - I have not called my supplier yet), I'm not really too keen on installing a knob or pull to use to tilt it out.

Can you think of any other options for a "pull" design that would work for a tilt-out, that would not protrude into the person at the sink?

Thanks, Todd

Use a Euro hinge, you'd have to create a shelf to put the hinge plate on and use a chain to limit it's travel.

Also you could run into space issues depending on your sink selection and depth of countertop, they'd both be factors in space available.

Sink tip out are "novelty's" , the normal tip out hardware is crap , normally when I've remodeled kitchens that had tip out we find they have 10 year old Brillo pads and worn out tooth brush that hadn't been used in years.

I do like the vented look off a sink false front in your style of cabinet.

Use a finger pull -- a hole in the front which you stick a finger in, to pull the front out. Figure out a way to integrate that hole into the pattern made by the ventilation kerfs.

Un-sprung Euro hinges with a magnetic touch latch for the no pull part of it.

Route a cove cut on the inside top edge for a finger pull. Also go to Amazon and put tip out in the search box and you'll get lots of options for trays. I put one at my sink.

cove cut finger pull.jpg

Blog Entries
    I would skip the saw kerfs, as they won't do much if they do anything to promote air circulation since they are so narrow. Free circulation of air needs wider gaps than that to get air to flow of its own accord.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I hate tilt out fronts with a passion so I did a drawer instead at the sink. Pictures from the build and install 2 years ago.
    10-23-10 003.jpg10-23-10 002.jpg