Thread: Jet DC-1100 mod - those darned ports

Jet DC-1100 mod - those darned ports

My shop is in the garage and the garage is insulated, and has HVAC. The garage also need to house a car or two when the shop is not in use. As such, I have everything on wheels and so they can be tucked aware making room for the cars.

The one thing that has annoyed me is the ports on the DC-1100; they come off the side and make convenient plumbing impossible.
    - If I have it 90* to the wall (ports coming out near the wall) it would block cars.
    - Parallel to the wall would put the ports in the line of traffic or against the wall and thus impossible to use.

The solution is turning the motor/fan assembly 90* and mounting to a 30* wedge, thus aligning the ports to come off the end of the DC assembly. Once I shortened the 6" diameter hose a few inches it has a very graceful curve from fan assembly to the bags.

Overall, I am pretty pleased with the results.

DC-Mod.jpg

Sorry for crappy iphone image.

Interesting idea! Thanks for sharing. Currently the stock direction works but in future it may need rotated.

I finished it up tonight. I am currently using a single 20' 4" flex hose and this mod does make it a bit longer but once I plumb it the extra length will not be an issue.

Very nice.They(fan/impeller housings)really are pretty simple if you study them.

I have a Jet 1200 with a Wok baffle hooked up to a Super Dust Deputy (SSD). Reviewing you image of your wedge has motivated me to raise the fan 48 inch so that the intake is even with the output side of the SSD ie...one 90 degree bend. This would cause my fan output to the filters to take a strange turn. After researching a few articles, it appears the strange bends that my fan output would undergo will be OK because the increased static pressure on the output side of the fan is less important than the intake side.

Blog Entries
    Nice fix. Thanks for sharing that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler