Thread: Where is the FAQ section? Why only interviews with wood turners?

Where is the FAQ section? Why only interviews with wood turners?

We used to have a nice FAQ section(not that little thing on the top bar),and interviews with all kinds of wood workers. I cannot find them now. What has happened to these features?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

It's up in the announcements section.

Well,I think they are entirely too obscure. I looked for quite a while and could not find the FAQ section.

It's well hidden, that's for sure. Really it should be the first sticky post. At worst, the first post should have a link the the FAQ
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Well,I think they are entirely too obscure. I looked for quite a while and could not find the FAQ section.
    I agree with you George but the powers that be felt it needed moving.

For me the search function works fairly well. Either > wisdom/FAQs < or > faqs < in the SMC search box at the top right of the page brought it up on the top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not that I am by any means a computer whiz,but I think,if I can't even find it,how are newbies supposed to?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Not that I am by any means a computer whiz,but I think,if I can't even find it,how are newbies supposed to?
    Again I have to agree. Most people do not associate archived wisdom with Announcements. Especially one with the byline of being about current events.

Maybe we need a sticky at the top of the conference called "Road Map, finding what you are looking to find."

It could have a lot of links and even search terms that would take a user straight to the results of a term like; dovetails, tenon saw, sharpening, tool restoration and any other thing that people often ask about.

The problem with most websites is they are put together by people at the top of their computer usage/knowledge. Sometimes it makes it difficult for those of us who are novice level computer users.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Careful George...

Talk like this will get you banned.

Who is in charge of making this sort of sticky or FAQ more user friendly? The moderators? The web site owner? Seems like things like this should be easy to fix

The Member Interviews Forum is the third forum from the top on our main menu.

There is an FAQ thread in the Support Forum which contains information about The Creek.

Jim Koepke shared the link with me to the FAQ thread George was looking for, it has been moved back to this Forum.

Keith,thank you for restoring the FAQ section. I can still only find TOOD TURNER interviews,not the other members,though. Maybe I'm messing up. It's been a hard day for me,and I'm pretty tired out. Thank you again.

Thanks Keith!
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Hey now, that is a great thread although FAQ doesn't really do it proper justice with regard to getting someone to see all the fine work contained in there. I would rename it as project archive or Neanderthal archive or smoething like that. The only FAQ I can see it addressed is "where is that thing?". Thanks Keith for restoring it though. I can see why George was so interested in locating it.

Blog Entries
    I would rename it
    Well, it is the repository of Neanderthal wisdom and there are answers to a lot of frequently asked questions.

If I were to advocate any change to the name it would be to upgrade the w in wisdom to uppercase.

Let's just thank Keith for making it easier to find or explain to others how to find it.

jtk