Thread: Strengthening/finishing Spalted Wood?

Blog Entries

Strengthening/finishing Spalted Wood?

This isn't really a "finishing" question", per se, but thought this would be the best place to solicit some advice.

I am building a dovetail saw and am using some spalted Tamarind for the tote. Don't know much about Tamarind, except that is very light, almost white color. The dark streaks of the spalting process are visually striking, which is why I picked it, even though I know it's certainly not traditional and not really very structurally sound.

The wood is not very dense and has some voids/small holes, I'm guessing from the Spalting process. Is there some kind of "hardening agent" I can apply that might soak into the wood and increase its strength? I'm looking for something transparent, so as not to obscure the figure.

I'm not sure if there are even products for this but very much welcome any advice or suggestions.

I guess I can go with some kind of fiberglass resin, like that used for surfboards but I was hoping to preserve at least some feel of the wood itself without totally enclosing it in a "plastic" coating. If I can't find anything else that will work, I might have to go with some kind of resin, again any thoughts about this option would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Mike

Blog Entries
    Search on the term "stabilization" for wood... there are alternatives, but the most common is Cactus Juice (a repackage of commercially available material). Using a vacuum pot, you fill the wood pores with resin, then bake in the oven at low temps to make it rock hard.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    I've heard good things about the Cactus Juice. I've used Minwax Wood Hardener on spalted maple. It worked okay. But my piece wasn't going to be handled as much as yours.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot Dan and Shawn, I really appreciate the advice! I will let you know how it works out.

Many thanks, Mike