Thread: Bandsaw Blade TPI for Cutting Acrylic

Bandsaw Blade TPI for Cutting Acrylic

Since I need to cut acrylic with my Jet bandsaw does anyone have a recommendation for the teeth per inch blade best suited for the job?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Use a 6tpi buttress or skip tooth blade if you will be doing relatively tight radius curves. A 1/4 to 1/2" blade width should do it. Up to 3/4 for straight ripping style cuts is better.

The risk with a bandsaw is that normal set blades dull quickly with that material. And a non skip tooth can clog and then cause burning and also chipping of the plastic. The tooth range I gave you should handle up to about a 1/2" thick material. I am afraid I have not dealt with anything larger than that. I am also not sure of the speed of the blade. I have no way to measure that on my jet. You dont want to go so fast that you heat the plastic. Or so slow that you cause chipping.

Hope that helps.

Dave
    Last edited by David Somers; 08-05-2014 at 5:38 PM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Most of my acrylic will be 3/8 inch or less. Right now it is .250 but my machine will not cut it, at least in one pass and I don't feel like running my 35 watt tube to the max and making multiple passes.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

A general rule, if I remember correctly, is that you always want at least 2 1/2 teeth engaged in the work at all times. That seems to work for most everything. If you have thicker materials, it's a coarser blade, thinner materials, it takes more teeth per inch to keep 2 1/2 teeth in the work at all times.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.