Thread: another band saw question

another band saw question

Have been putting together parts and table for early 60's 10'' Shopmaster. (got tired of certain brands making parts obsolete). Went with urethane tires for ease. Cleaned, lubed, waxed, mounted on table built from free wood. the tires , which i can not remember where i ordered from, went on without being water heated. I clamped one side and stretched around and clamped again till the tire was on the wheel.
    Have blades from Timberwolf, put 3/8ths one on. Made adjustments till the blade spun true. The wheel is pre-crowned is just under .750 wide and has no lip to hold the tire on. As soon as I put power to the saw the tire came off, the blade stayed right in the middle of the wheel.
    Have went through the search portion of band saw tires, and related facts. still have a question. Do urethane tires require a lip to be held on?
    From the reading it appears the tires should have been much more difficult to put on. At this point I'm wanting to get it up and running. When I obtained the saw it had bicycle tubes glued on with electrical tape at the seam for "smoothness".

Blog Entries
    Are your wheels crowned? If they are, then crowned tires are not going to stay on.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

tires are urethane with no crown .

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Are your wheels crowned? If they are, then crowned tires are not going to stay on.
    What? That doesn't make sense.

If there is no edge on the wheels, glue the tires on.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I only have one experience to speak from but, the tires required a bath in very hot water before there was any chance of getting them on, no lip, tires stay put. There would need to be a fit that can tolerate the band tension and wheel torque without too much shape change. It sounds like your tires are deforming under operational pressures. Also, if the tire came off and the band was still tight enough to stay on, it was probably too tight for a 10" saw(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put urethane tires on my delta 14" last year and there were difficult, but not as difficult as I was lead to believe by all the reading I did on the subject. The delta has lips/edges on the wheels, but my tires don't fill in the space between them (tires aren't wide enough) and they manage to stay in the middle of the wheel anyway.

Weird that your tires are coming off and the blade is staying put. Even with the old rubber tires on my saw, that had lost there elasticity and were flopping around due to centrifical force, the tires and blade still managed to stay in place, more or less.

Are the tires and wheels clean, free of oil and soap?

Guess you've got two chooses glue em or send em back, hoping that different ones will fit better.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 08-07-2014 at 9:19 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Thanks for the replies. your knowledge ranks right up there with the pros. called point of purchase and got the same info from them today. Clean the wheels for sure clean. maybe scuff up the inside of the urethane, put back on and try again. We also talked about the potential of the blade being to tight. the frame on the saw is marked 63" blade but the wheel was rubbing the framing when it was turned manually so i made it tighter, till no rubbing occurred. ( my first band saw) beyond that i was advised to glue the tire on and next time i order blades get 63 1/2" so the adjustment can be made. They also asked me to measure the tire and get back to them if it is to big. thumbs up to suffolk machines. and thanks to you guys as well