Thread: My collection

My collection

I just thoughtI would share the start of my collection. It is a collection of Keen Kutter K series planes. I think they are the best deal going. I now have all the sizes but all it will take to finish the collection is money.

Anyway here are my first three, a #2, a#3, and a# 4

DSC01508.jpg DSC01506.jpg DSC01507.jpg

The 3 and 4 have new Bolivian rosewood knobs and totes. I have been meaning to do a new wood for the K2 I just haven't gotten to it yet. They were reground flat and true before I sent them out to be engraved.

I hope you injoy seeing them.
    Tom

Tom, very nice . . . . but are these users ???

Tom,

Wow, pretty cool! The new rosewood tote and knob are spectacular.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Some great looking planes.

I think they would distract me from getting any work done with them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The engraving on the sides looks great. Did you add it or buy them that way?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I had a woman in New York named Catharine Kennedy do the engraving. I did the rest. And while I was turning the knobs I found out I am allergic to Bolivian Rose Wood. And then I found out that Bolivian Rose Wood is a look alike and not a true rose wood. I do have the rest of the totes made though. I just have to get my wife to sand them. Turning will have to be left to someone else.

And to answer the other question, no it is a collection and I do not do any work with them. I have other restored and reground Keen Kuter K series planes to do that task.
    Tom

Those are SWEET!

Regards, Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

don't forget this one

3KeenKutterK240scrub.jpg

don't forget this one A scrub plane never even intered my head. Now I havemore problems beside finding money. That is unless you are interested in a trade for something.
    Tom

don't forget this one A scrub plane never even intered my head. Now I havemore problems beside finding money. That is unless you are interested in a trade for something
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

They look very nice,but,could you post more pictures showing straight side shots,and closer up? I can't make out the details of the engraving. Also,are the cap irons engraved? Let's see them,too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some great looking planes.

I think they would distract me from getting any work done with them.

jtk
    I know of a guy who could machine all those curly scratches off the sides.

Seriously, a nice set.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    don't forget this one A scrub plane never even intered my head. Now I havemore problems beside finding money. That is unless you are interested in a trade for something.
    My uncle gave it to me a few years ago. He was a hero to me. WWII tail gunner with 66 missions over europe and a life long woodworker. Anyway, this will stay in the family.

I've seen a lot of planes on ebay and other sites, but never a k 240. I'd bet other folks here more experienced than I have seen them though. Maybe someone can help you find one.

You have a great start and I wish you success with your endeavor.

Yes !
    I did enjoy seeing your planes. Thank you.
    I am looking at them on an iPad rather than the desk top so I didn't expand the photos until you mentioned engraving.
    I am glad you said that else I may have missed out.
    You made my day ! They have a nice old look to them and I am a metal head so I enjoy sutle but well done engraving like that.
    Thanks again Tom.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.