Thread: Maple HF

Maple HF

Here is another one of the HF's I posted a few weeks ago in the group I took to the sale. It is turned from maple around 10" tall finished with many coats of Deft. One of my best friends from High School back in the 70"s lost a short fight with cancer last week and his daughter asked me if I could make her an Urn for part of his ashes. This is the one I decided to use. I will post a picture of the form with lid next week.
    Take Care and Make the Most of Every Day Everyone,
    Jack Mincey

Jack,
    A beautiful Turning, and a wonderful last gesture for a friend. I love the color and grain. very fitting for an Urn. Be sure to post it when the top is on it.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Jack, that is absolutely beautiful! I am sorry to hear of the loss but I am sure that it was very appreciated! One question, What is Deft?

Thanks guy's, Jay Deft is a name brand of lacquer I like to use. Here is a picture of it with the lid I made. I wanted for the lid to be unlikely to ever be broken so I keep the height of the lid down.
    Jack

Gorgeous urn. Well done.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful urn Jack. Sad thing, but we all get calls these days. I have to make one for a grand-nephew who died from a July 4th incident. His mom is not ready to let go, and frankly may never be.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

That is a beautiful piece. How is the lid attached?

Thanks again everyone. Eric the lid is a friction fit, but can be glued shut after the ashes are placed into the urn.
    Thanks,
    Jack Mincey