View Poll Results: Would you Make or buy lathe tool handles

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make

35 74.47%
  • Buy

12 25.53%

Thread: Lathe tool handles (make vs buy)

Lathe tool handles (make vs buy)

I am in the process of making some carbide insert lathe tools. I am debating between making the handles or buy pre-made one from woodturners catalog (see link below). Has anyone used these handles before? If so what do you think about them? Any thoughts on the make vs buy decision?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/...-Tool-Handle?0

I bought some aluminium tube 1" OD x 1/8" side wall and some 3/4" aluminium rod and some 1" ID vinyl tubing (the type with the mesh re-inforcing, most big box hardware stores carry it). Cut the rod into 2-3" slugs and drill for the diameter of the tool shank and for two set screws. Cut the larger tube to desired handle length and cover with the vinyl tube. insert and epoxy the drilled bar. You can make a plug for the butt end or leave it open. A plug allows the tube to be weighted. Size and feel are good as far as I am concerned and total cost was less than $10 per handle. You can either let the rod extend out of the tube for the set screws or drill the holes through sleeve, tube and rod and thread both tube and rod. The tube can be used alone for 3/4" tools. Cindy Drozda has a tutorial on her site.

I have also turned handles after buying kiln-dried blanks. Packard sells some tool handles a little cheaper.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I bought a Hosaluk handle for my Ci1 rougher and Mega Eliminator tools. The shank for the ME tool almost necessitates the hosaluk handle and it's easy to swap out the tools.

It's easy enough to turn your own. I did this with the several carbide insert tools I have. The only time I bought handles is when I picked up two Thompson gouges and splurged for the handles.
    Doug

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content....Thompson-Tools!

Check out my tutorial from a few years back....

I've made my own handles and I've also bought some handles. I think it depends on how much time you have to invest in handles....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I like to make my own. that way, I can shape the handles for the type of tool, and the way I hold it.

plus - it's good spindle practice.

I think it depends. For larger gouges, I like the heavy handles made of aluminum. For the smaller gouges, 1/2" or less, I much prefer the feel and lightness of wood. Plus, I have relatively big hands, and I can turn handles a little fatter. I really don't care for the feel of aluminum or plastic, but I like the mass and heft when roughing or doing heavy cuts. It don't take that long to drill a hole in the end and turn a handle.

I'm really happy with the handles I bought from Doug Thompson - exceedingly high quality and a great feel. Plus they're laser-engraved with my name!

if you got the time ,then make handle to suit your idea
    why not included a third vote for both

No spindle turner worth his salt would buy premade wooden handles. Metal handles are a different story.

My preference for handles is a straight cylinder, no bumps and humps. There are a lot of nice manufactured handles available. For a square shaft, I make a sandwich type handle, so, the center section is the same thickness as the tool shaft you are inserting, then I cut out a slot/mortice in it that is the same width as the tool shaft. The square shaft in a round hole always works loose. I know some will put epoxy in the round holes, but I still prefer the wood handles.

robo hippy

I like to make my own wooden handles, I don't like metal handles as they get to cold to use in the winter time.
    Len

I prefer my Trent Bosch handles to any wooden-handled tool in my collection. All of my Doug Thompson gouges have Bosch handles on them. Like Reed, I prefer a straight handle, but the Bosch handles have a slight tackiness and give to them due to the wraps on them that make then a little more comfortable to use and easier to control. I only wish they came with color choices (each handle length is locked in to a specific color).

http://www.trentbosch.com/catalog/in...j8kjjo4rnvob26

I'm sure Doug's handles are very nice but I have never used one.

+1 on making your own. I prefer handles made from free firewood and scrap copper pipe.

+1 on making handles using long heavytropical blanlks of 18"+. Funny, I quit putting metal rounds on my tropical woods Makes a cleaner handle toward the end.