Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw recommendations

Question Table Saw recommendations

Greetings all,

New member here and relatively new woodworker. I really, really enjoy this work, and I have been trying to immerse myself in anything that can teach me or help me understand how better to approach the process. I've been subscribing to Fine Woodworker, Woodsmith, Wood and Family Handyman and reading woodworking books. Have been collecting tools and familiarizing myself with them as much as possible. One huge mistake I made early on was not being selective in regards to my table saw and I ended up with this refurbished Ryobi thing that is OK powerwise but jumps around every time I turn it on, has no table space for anything bigger than about 2X4X48 without being unwieldy, the fence is awful, the sled is useless, etc etc. So I know what I hate

Anyways, I am now in a position to purchase a decent, real table saw and I am finding the width and breadth of options pretty intimidating. I'm not part of any local community that can help me make the decision and I don't really know anyone that has exposure to different brands that can give me advice. So that's where you guys hopefully come in.

I have roughly $1700 to spend. I definitely cut up a lot of sheet goods. I'm mostly interested in building furniture and so would probably be running a variety of woods through the saw. Not into turning atm. I really like big, long, wide tables. Floor-space isn't really an issue for me. A few conditions that complicate things for me:

• The funds I have available are in the form of Amazon gift cards. I have to be able to purchase the saw from the Amazon site, so I cannot consider used equipment or stuff that Amazon doesn't stock
    • I do not currently have my shop wired for 220v but I could do so if it makes sense. The cost of doing so would not be factored into the $1700
    • I would like to have a way to move the saw around, so if it doesn't include a mobility frame with wheels like the HTC2000 base I'd like to factor that into the cost
    • If the saw has a poor or insufficient fence I'd like to include the cost of replacing it with a Bies
    • Could use some leeway for other accessories like a Freud Dado

At the moment, I've been leaning towards the Grizzly G0715P, but that is based almost entirely off of reviews on the Amazon site. Anyways, thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give! My last batch of Amazon gift cards will be arriving in a few days and I am hoping that I will be ready to pull the trigger then =D

Blog Entries
    Amazon has the Sawstop contractor saw with the professional fence and 36" rails for $1,818. I know that is over the 1700$ you quoted. I have this saw and have tricked it out over time (folding outfeed table, CI wings, added storage, and improved the dust collection). It's a nice saw. I bought it before the PCS came out. Today, I would buy the PCS. But I can't see selling my SS for the PCS as I have yet to find anything I can't do with it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I would go with a Sawstop. The contractor saw is $1750 on amazon. The mobility kit is extra, but you can add that on later. I don't particularly like the company, but the saws are very well made, and I know too many people who have hurt themselves with a table saw to recommend buying anything but that or a slider.

Might want to consider the Festool TS55 & MFT if you're breaking down a lot of sheet goods.

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-MFT-3-.../dp/B002W7TLAY

http://www.amazon.com/Festool-TS-55-.../dp/B00C2AKZCO

Saw stop, save your pennies for a track saw next for sheet goods.

With your budget and requirement for breaking down sheet goods, I would recommend this saw. http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708495K-JP...ords=table+saw It's a very good saw and meets all you requirements with a decent fence, cast iron wings, plenty of power, runs on 110v but can be changed to 220v and has 52 inch rip capacity for sheet goods. Jet makes good equipment and I have been very happy with my Jet Xacta saw.
    Earl

If you do decide on the SS, I would advise getting the better fence upgrade, it is a Bies clone.

Rick P

I'd look at the Grizzly G0691 with the long rails (you said space was not an issue and that you breakdown sheet goods). For $1,745 delivered you get a 3HP professional grade cabinet saw with a decent fence. Each to their own, but I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a 1-3/4HP contractor saw with a cheap fence....even considering the safety features.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 08-06-2014 at 1:58 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I'd look at the Grizzly G0691 with the long rails (you said space was not an issue and that you breakdown sheet goods). For $1,745 delivered you get a 3HP professional grade cabinet saw with a decent fence. Each to their own, but I wouldn't pay $1,750 for a 1-3/4HP contractor saw with a cheap fence....even considering the safety features.
    Yeah I am having a lot of difficulty with this... I like my extra money but .. I also like my fingers If I had $3000 to throw at the problem I would almost guaranteed get the sawstop. But I had pretty much written them off as unobtainable for me at this point

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    You're seeing this saw for $1750 delivered on Amazon? It's showing as nearly $1900 for me which really stretches my budget out to the breaking point.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Brown View Post
    At the moment, I've been leaning towards the Grizzly G0715P, but that is based almost entirely off of reviews on the Amazon site
    Can anyone give me some feedback on this saw? What will I likely love/hate about it? I understand the desire to get the most saw you can possibly get for the money, but when I think about the accessories I can get here with this saw I'm tempted to step back from the $1800+ models.

You're seeing this saw for $1750 delivered on Amazon? It's showing as nearly $1900 for me which really stretches my budget out to the breaking point.
    Benjamin, I was looking at the Grizzly direct sales web site: http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3...ng-Knife/G0691

Not sure why Amazon would advertise $1,889....would never buy Grizzly through Amazon, always buy direct. For $1,745 delivered you're getting a whole lot more saw than the SS contractor saw. Apples and Oranges difference.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I have a 12" Inca. The company has long gone out of business. I used to wrestle sheet goods through it, but it was a real challenge getting a straight cut on a full 4x8 sheet. Maybe it's just my poor technique. The approach I took to solve the problem was to get a Festool TS55 and a set of rails. An additional advantage to this saw is their splinter guard that prevents tear out. Set up time is longer, but you're guaranteed a straight clean cut. It's a cheaper solution, but you would probably need another saw for cross cuts. Throw in their Kapex saw and you're budget is totally blown.

How's that? Cross cuts are pretty do-able with an MFT, guide rail, miter and guide rail. A Kapex is nice but not totally necessary.

Can anyone give me some feedback on this saw? What will I likely love/hate about it?
    I have had the Grizzly G0715P for about 18 months and honestly can't find any faults with it. It's perfectly adequate and powerful enough for a home hobby shop. Setup is pretty easy, the fence works well, and the riving knife is an excellent safety feature (I don't use the blade guard, as it's always in the way. But the riving knife only comes off if I'm using a dado). You will want to add a zero-clearance insert from Grizzly (this saw doesn't really allow for a shop-made insert).

Doesn't have large table for breaking down sheet goods but that hasn't been a problem - I've got a $.10 guide that I made for my circular saw that works well enough for the initial breakdown, then I square up the sides on the table saw.

You'll want a different blade than the one that comes with the saw. I use a Freud 60-tooth blade from the BORG and it does a good job; I'm sure there are better blades out there but I haven't felt the need to spend the money on one.

I also added an Incra 2000SE miter gauge and use it all the time (at least when I'm not using the cross-cut sled I made...)