Thread: Family Crest

Family Crest

My son is getting married at the end of the month. Since a new Yundt household is being formed I thought he needed the family Crest.
    Ironically when he stopped by the other day he said " You know what I'd like to have? A carved Crest"
    Little did he know it was already on the bench being carved.

This design can be traced back through our family to around the year 1410. That's pretty cool.

I did it in basswood. I wasn't sure where he'd put it so I designed it to be either sat on a molding above a door or archway as I did with mine or to hang on a wall. It will go either place. It's 11" high and 16" wide.
    The carving was pretty much straight forward with my typical Acanthus leaves. In this case they made a nice frame for the shield and the volutes gave me a nice place to attach the swag with the name incised into it.

I didn't want it to look new so after painting it I antiqued it to give it an aged look. It was too sterile without it I believe.

The last photo is my Crest that is over the archway between my LR and DR. It faces the door when you enter my home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Next up are these rather large Corbels. They're 3 ft long and will be 13" wide and 9" deep. Those swags will be fun to carve! And cut off in the drawing photo are Acanthus leaves spilling out from the bottom scroll.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

The crest turned out really nice. I agree with you I like your antiquing of the pieces.
    "Always Chipping Away"

Thanks Roger.
    I was beginning to think nobody liked it!

As a stand alone piece I think the antiquing works well. On mine I only did the crest itself as the remainder of the carving blends in with the rest of my moldings and some other carvings.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 08-07-2014 at 4:57 PM.
    The Woodworking Studio

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mark for posting the pictures and descriptions of the family crest you did for your son's wedding – it's fantastic! This is definitely a thread I will bookmark, as I would love to give something like this a try.

I always enjoy your work, it is Very inspirational. I always enjoy seeing the many different ways you utilize your carving talents – even though I will never be able to even begin to approach the skill level needed for most of them. I really should respond to your post more frequently to express my appreciation.

All the best, Mike

Hi Mike!
    glad you enjoyed the post. If it sparked some idea then it did it's job. Thanks!
    The Woodworking Studio