Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and shop tour (lots of pix)

Introduction and shop tour (lots of pix)

Hello SMC! I've been reading this site for about a year now and joined a couple of months ago and have been working on putting my shop together during that time. First of all, many thanks for the great website and all those who have taken the time to post here as it is a wealth of information and I'm sure I"ve been able to bypass several pitfalls and headaches by heeding the experience that has been shared here.

I work as a rehabilitation physician (Physiatrist) and spend my days in a hospital working with people who've had strokes, joint replacements, fractures, amputations and other terrible things (sure appreciate my health and set of "problems"). As for woodworking; I grew up around it and helped my Dad build a lot of stuff - mostly functioning as a clamp and outfeed device. I have recently decided to get into to it as a hobby and plan on building my kids' beds, cabinets for a project room, a built in hutch, kitchen cabinets, etc., etc. - hoping that my meager skills improve as I reach higher up the complexity ladder. But I am optimistic and believe that the brain being the trainable organ it is will acquire new skills whilst I create firewood and sawdust.

If your ever in Ft. Worth, feel free to look me up.

Now for the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very impressive shop space. Do you own stock in Grizzly? Can you explain the first picture, is that part of the house? How much of the space is shop? Welcome to the chreek.

Richard

Drool.... Boy, I think I'd give up a lot to get space to simply plant my machines in one spot forever and ever.

Nice job on the DC system. I'm still waffling between plastic and metal, plastic and metal for the ductwork...I just don't know....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

WOW now thats a shop. Color me green with envy. I can only dream of a shop like yours, How many square feet is it.

Very Nice and very clean! I am with Rich, amazing all Grizzly tools. How do you like your table saw and bandsaw?

Chris
    (Doc as well)

Hi Kurt~
    Great looking shop. I'm sure I could make some mighty fine firewood and saw dust there . What attracted you so greatly to the Grizzly line? The one tool I hope to upgrade after all is said and done with my shop remodel is my jointer and I'm looking hard at a Grizzly. Thanks for posting pics. Am looking forward to seeing the many wonderful projects that I'm sure will come out of there.
    In peace, Todd

very nice indeed .... love the shop tours

how about taking a little time to discuss some of your thought on why you bought a particular machine or why you set up your shop as you have. it gives others ideas as well

best wishes
    lou

Hi Kurt and WOW nice shop. Look forward to seeing your projects.

Here's a few more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, you guys are fast!! Thanks for the kind comments. I just uploaded some more pictures hoping to get them inline with the others. OK, you got me, I'm busted - no I'm not running a Grizzly dealership. From the reading I did, I decided that Grizzly had the level of quality I was looking for at an affordable price poine and were willing to negotiate a bit as I bought my tools in a single order. You may notice that I've gotten to know Mr. Marino as well as the nice folks at Woodpeckers and Jointech.

The building is a 60'x40' steel building in my back yard and functions as my garage as well. I will have to come back later to add some additional comments as I need to pick-up my inlaws at the airport Thanks for looking.

WOW!!! Congrats, Kurt. Your shop is fantastic. I guess green is your favorite colour so you might want to get a Hitachi SCMS instead of the Dewalt .

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Man that is some showroom of equipment and the space you have is amazing! It looks like you have a second floor from the pictures, is that office space?

I have a question on your second set of images and the close up of the Grizzly cyclone. I notice there is a fair amount of dust in the plastic bag below the filter which would seem you may have a leak....just curious if you had checked the seal on the drum as this is the third time I have seen quite a bit of dust in the bag below the filter.

Awsome shop!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Voss
    ... I have recently decided to get into to it as a hobby ...
    Boy Kurt, you really do get into your hobbies quickly and well!

The pictures are great, but I love diagrams as well. Do you have a layout plan that you could post?

Wonderful, Kurt! My only critical eye moment was with those things that have rubber tires taking up valuable shop space!

And I do get down your way a few times a year...you're now on "my list" of shops to drool in...hee hee
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great shop Kurt and looks like you have everything in order. BTW, I guess you're heavily into Grizzly Tools? Own part of the company now?

Congrats on a nice shop and some very nice tools. BTW, Welcome to SMC.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.