Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning really wide surfaces like a table top

Question Planning really wide surfaces like a table top

So I'm making a kitchen table and the top is about 45" square, I've managed to do OK.... I think.

I glued and flattened the top progressively (three chunks), but still will need some flatten near its completion. A top this size I can reach to the center well enough, but got to wondering how would ya do a wider and longer table top?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Blog Entries
    Judson, do you happen to have a long, precision ground straight edge?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

If it's too big to reach across, I guess you have to climb on top
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    So I'm making a kitchen table and the top is about 45" square, I've managed to do OK.... I think.

I glued and flattened the top progressively (three chunks), but still will need some flatten near its completion. A top this size I can reach to the center well enough, but got to wondering how would ya do a wider and longer table top?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I would otherwise joint it from whatever side I could reach it, etc, and then I'd put it on the floor and finish plane it with through strokes.

Daniel and David

That's what I was asking about, the physicality of the task. I was thinking of the same thing, climbing on, but was wondering/hoping there might be a better way. Perhaps that plane rope and winch?

Careful, planing rope is only good for edge jointing. For face planing you need flexible twisted wire. I prefer brass 1/16" but 3/16" will work in pinch. A small dowel on at the end of the wire makes a nice handle to prevent cuts and abrasions. I've heard of people using copper electrical wire but it seems dangerous to me.
    Daniel and David

That's what I was asking about, the physicality of the task. I was thinking of the same thing, climbing on, but was wondering/hoping there might be a better way. Perhaps that plane rope and winch?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

For table tops that are too wide to reach from one side, I just plane from both sides.

For table tops that are too long to do in smooth strokes, I just go as far as I can reach.

The nice thing about table tops is that they don't have to be perfectly, globally, flat; they only need to LOOK that way, so doing it in sections and making sure each section is locally, approximately flat is good enough.

Blog Entries
    That's sort of what I'm driving at, with the aide of a straight edge you can do 95% of it cutting to the halfway point of the table. After that, lay it on the floor.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    For table tops that are too wide to reach from one side, I just plane from both sides.

For table tops that are too long to do in smooth strokes, I just go as far as I can reach.

The nice thing about table tops is that they don't have to be perfectly, globally, flat; they only need to LOOK that way, so doing it in sections and making sure each section is locally, approximately flat is good enough.
    +1 to this post. Do what you can, and just like about 99% of things in woodworking, if it looks right it is right.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Careful, planing rope is only good for edge jointing. For face planing you need flexible twisted wire. I prefer brass 1/16" but 3/16" will work in pinch. A small dowel on at the end of the wire makes a nice handle to prevent cuts and abrasions. I've heard of people using copper electrical wire but it seems dangerous to me.

Well of course that makes perfect sense, why didn't I think of that.

Okely dokely, thanks guys!

I would probably get as much as I could by what ever means to make it look good, and, I might use something like the Festool half sheet sander (RS2E). It is supposed to excel at this sort of thing.

I know this isn't the right forum, but what about a router sled?

I can't find it now, but I recall seeing a video of two Japanese woodworkers working together with a plane - one pulling the other pushing. That might work. Or, just find a friend with longer arms. Better yet, find a friend with a flat belt sander.

I agree with Prashun as well. Not only doesn't it have to be perfectly flat, but even if you managed to flatten it, the top is going to move over time anyway.

Steve

Honestly, a router or a belt sander would be harder. Reaching the middle with a router is no easier and a jig must be created. Moreover, a router wont create a finished surface, so sanding or planing will be required after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    I know this isn't the right forum, but what about a router sled?

I can't find it now, but I recall seeing a video of two Japanese woodworkers working together with a plane - one pulling the other pushing. That might work. Or, just find a friend with longer arms. Better yet, find a friend with a flat belt sander.

I agree with Prashun as well. Not only doesn't it have to be perfectly flat, but even if you managed to flatten it, the top is going to move over time anyway.

Steve
    -- Dan Rode

If Ethan Hunt were a woodworker, for him this would be non issue... (well, as long as he could solve the issue of how to push the plane instead of the plane pushing him... but if you can joint edges with a rope and a super sharp plane, leverage is not needed)