Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You a Seasonal Woodworker?

Are You a Seasonal Woodworker?

I'm not in my shop much in the warm months. I don't even think about making anything. My summer obsession is windsurfing, so I'm only in the shop occasionally to tweak and repair my windsurf gear. My shop gets piled up with the summer stuff that my family needs and it's a mess. I'm an old cabinetmaker and I think "I can't work with all this junk in here". The truth is I never do woodworking in the summer now, so I just smile and go sailing.

Any other seasonal woodworkers here? What's your season?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Summer, Spring, Fall, Winter. I wish I had the discipline to take seasonal breaks.

I for sure spend less time in the shop when the weather is nice out. I'd prefer to get some fresh air outside walking, running, ultimate, or if I can get the hall pass from my wife, going for a mountain bike ride (4 hour commitment or so).
    But i still spend time on the Creek, design, plan, and create all year long.

I'm just getting started as of this Spring, having spent the past year-or-so amassing tools and rewiring my garage. And though I purchased the materials for my shop cabinets and my first two furniture projects over the past 2-3 months, I haven't found the time yet to get started on any of them. I seem to be overrun with Summer activities, including lawn and yard maintenance, gardening (fruits and veggies, another hobby), hiking and travel, biking, entertaining friends and family, et al. So for the time being, I guess I'm a just a seasonal, foul-weather woodworker.

I'm a winter wood worker.

Summer is motorcycling season................Rod.

I always seem to have ww'ing projects going for the house so it is year round for me. Thankfully, California (SF Bay Area) doesn't swing too wildly in temperature over the year.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

All year round...Can't pay the bill unless I work.....

Unheated detached garage in Iowa... Anything below 40*F I am only in my workshop if something in the house breaks. And, below zero, it will have to wait for spring.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Am in the shop anywhere from 20-80 hrs a week doing the daily grind.Spend probably 10+ hrs/wk for personal work.Other time is spent riding motorcycles and shooting recurves.The bikes don't take much working on but the bows sure do.There's a constant line of bows needing serious work.....from ground-up builds to testing.But this is even split between professionally and personal stuff.

Biggy items here are,the shops stay clean "enough" that,if they're open....it's all quality time.Fixtures and new tooling in general,"is" quality time though,so that's an ongoing thing,like sweeping floors.

Year round unless its to hot or to cold and lately its been a wee bit on the hot side. Shop time does suffer some in the summer due to other activities.

My job dictates that the winter is my ww time. Nothing better than woodworking in a nice warm shop when its snowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I'm a winter wood worker.

Summer is motorcycling season................Rod.
    Same here except summer WAS motorcycle season, now it's been golf season. I also have much more free time in the winter, summer work weeks are usually 50-60 hours.

Blog Entries
    I'm old and only have so many Saturdays left. I'm spending as many of them as possible in the shop ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's easier to heat the shop than cool it. Long, warm summer days deserve my attention. When the daylight hours are spent at work, the shop makes a nice retreat.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    I try to get into the shop year round whether it is 20º or 100ºF.

Summer tends to be the time when so many other chores need to be done.

I was working with wood most of today, firewood! Cutting, splitting and stacking mostly. Did get to a glue up on a small table/stand I've been working on.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)