Thread: Dressed up cottonwood

Dressed up cottonwood

I won a block of cottonwood at our last club meeting; this is what I did with it. The base is sycamore, finial is holly while the body is cottonwood. Dyed with Belen "Solar-Lux" dyes and sprayed with lacquer (today, not buffed out yet). Size is 7-1/2" diameter by 12" high (to top of finial). The finial is attaches with three lugs, a twist to the right tightens it up.
    Comments and critiques welcome (I am thinking the lower part of finial may be too fat).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Dennis, looks like a lot of work went into this one with the locking finial. The ball does seem a little large, maybe just squished down a little to mimic the body shape.

Toby said it. Nice in any case.

Very nice wood and shape---question--is this an Annie Greensprings flask?

5. Awesome! I just moved to Nebraska and there are more cottonwood than anything else here. Everyone says it's junk wood, but then they aren't woodworkers either. I was hoping to see someone use it in a turning sometime. Did you turn this green and dry it or was it pretty dry to begin with, and were there any problems/issues with turning this type of wood? I hear it's pretty prone to tear-out. Very nice piece!

Richard:
    This piece was dry before I turned it, it turned fine with minimal issues. I have had trouble with cottonwood in the past and will probably not bother with plain grain cottonwood but will certainly take any curly or figured cottonwood that I can get. It is usually more prone to tear-out than some woods; some pieces have this issue more than others. If it is readily available, you should get some and try it. If you get a bad piece, do not give up on all cottonwood.

Here is version # 2; I made a new finial with a large cove where the ball was on the first version.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like version #2.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

The cove sets the finial up and really makes it look better for me. Different, but I like it.

Dennis, that change to the finial makes a huge difference! I really like it!
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

11. Thanks for the insight Dennis, I will certainly have to try some out.