Thread: Tea Box

Tea Box

Here is a tea box made for our granddaughter who's on her way to her freshman year in college. It was inspired by postings on this web site. I have searched, but can't find the thread. I would like to give credit to whoever the made the op. It does have an asian feel about it, as suggested in the thread, and granddaughter likes all things asian.

Its made from lauan and stained with a dark red stain and finished with 3-4 coats of orange shellac and then rubbed with steel wool and wax. It has a nice warm brown color and the feel is smooth and soft.

This project progressed quickly and is the only thing I've ever made that did not require a trip to the hardware store.

IMG_0352.jpg IMG_0349.JPG
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Blog Entries
    Nice! ! !

What are the dimensions on the box?

Lovely little box.

Smaller is more difficult.
    Four miters that size, and they all fit?

Kudos

It's 10 x 7 3/4 x 6 1/2 in. IIRC Th box was shipped yesterday and my sketch (plan) is thrown out.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;2297069]Lovely little box.

Smaller is more difficult.
    Four miters that size, and they all fit?

Kudos[/QUOT

The miters were cut as bevels on my table saw and they were a close fit, but not good enough. I then used a block plane to improve the fit to an acceptable level. Then after glue up I noticed a very small gap, mid way on one joint, corrected by burnishing it closed with a round screw driver shaft. Lauan is soft and moved easily to close the gap. Made an invisible repair. Better lucky than good.
    Bill

I like your choice of wood . The grain is nice. Great looking box. Well done.