Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quickly estimating tree height

Blog Entries
    Better yet. downloaded and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    I think there's apps for this sort of thing.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lteriot.height

I just pick one but it looks like there's a bunch and some even have pictures of trees so I guess they might be designed to do what your asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    Can you take a premeasured stick, say 5' tall, and lean it against the tree, back up and take a pic with the cell phone or digital camera and then use the 5' stick as a scale on the photo? assuming that one is near perpendicular to the tree........... just asking.....
    Variation on this theme. I'm 5'9" tall, point of my chin is 5'. I stand next to the tree, mark the 5' line, walk any distance away from the tree that gives you a clear view of the whole thing and then use a small stick held at arms length to measure that 5' distance. Using that small stick now scaled to 5', eyeball how many there are to the top of the tree.....accurate to within a couple of feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Congratulations to your daughter!

I think it would be easier if you can get a 45 degree angle and level. Assumining it is reasonably flat land, walk a away from the tree until the top of the tree aligns at 45 degrees (bottom must be level). The tree height is the distance away from the tree plus the height of the triangle above the ground. (This assumes you don't want to do triganometry)

if you are willing to do the math, you need to measure a distance from the tree and the angle to the top of the tree.

Your story stick can work as well, but you'll need to do the math there as well (before you go). I am assuming that you are looking for +/- a few feet of accuracy.
    Exactly the way I learned to do it in the 8th grade. I taught my niece and nephew the same trick when they were about 12.
    I left out the S=O/H, C=A/H, and T=O/A. They just thought it was cool and gave them something to do together. They must have measured every tree and telephone pole on the block.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-09-2014 at 5:23 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The guy in this video covers the method I use when felling trees:

I have a dowel pre-cut to the right height, allowing for my fist. If the ground is reasonably level it works well for a quick estimate.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I was going to suggest the shadow method as outlined in Garth's link. I think that was an extra credit question on a trig test I took back in high school.
    Not so good if it's cloudy out!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all that replied. I chose the phone app mostly because I am traveling light. All I will need is my phone and a tape measure that I will have anyway. I will be trying a few experiments at home before I go to DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    The guy in this video covers the method I use when felling trees:

I have a dowel pre-cut to the right height, allowing for my fist. If the ground is reasonably level it works well for a quick estimate.
    I missed something - pretty ambiguous on Step # 3 (time at 3:32) where to stand between the tree and the house when pointing your fist at the base of the tree. Did he intend to say 1/2 way between - or some other?
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Here is how a pro does it. Look at time 3:00. This is also an excellent video on felling. http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/foru...ood-video.806/

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    I missed something - pretty ambiguous on Step # 3 (time at 3:32) where to stand between the tree and the house when pointing your fist at the base of the tree. Did he intend to say 1/2 way between - or some other?
    Technically, it doesn't matter. Step 4 really takes care of that. As long as you end up with your fist directly under the base of the tree and the top of the stick simultaneously aligned with the top of the tree you're in the right spot.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey