Thread: Rustic mantel project- newbie, be gentle!

Rustic mantel project- newbie, be gentle!

I'm working on a mantel and I'm looking for some feedback to see whether or not I'm headed in the right direction. The lumber is red oak, 6' long, 9.75" wide, and 2.5" thick. My wife and I were looking for something similar to the barn beam mantles, and this is what her grandfather sourced for us. It's not quite what we were thinking but it's a beautiful piece of wood, and it's from him, so we're going with it. There are quite a few worm holes, and it was pretty roughly cut on the sides. I left a lot of the saw marks in when I sanded to keep the rustic theme.

So far I have sanded to 220 and filled cracks with Minwax high performance wood filler. My plan from here is to use a Cinnamon colored dye to go with the stones in our fireplace wall, shellac, a dark brown glaze to highlight the grain, more shellac, and a wipe-on poly. I found those instructions online. Sound like I'm on the right track?

As for mounting, I'm debating between finding some large antique shelf brackets or sinking rebar into the stone and into the back of the mantel. The wood is VERY heavy, so any advice on that portion is also welcome. The back side of the mantel has some cracks (now filled) that concern me a little if I attempt the floating mount.

I'm a bit concerned about your use of wood filler. It won't take dye or stain in the same way as the wood. The best time for filler, if needed, is after the dye, stain, and at least the first coat of top coat has been applied. That way you can color the filler to be an acceptable color match.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about your use of wood filler. It won't take dye or stain in the same way as the wood. The best time for filler, if needed, is after the dye, stain, and at least the first coat of top coat has been applied. That way you can color the filler to be an acceptable color match.
    The only places filler was used was on the edge that will be against the stone, and on the bottom side close to the stone. Nothing on the top or front edge needed.

If you could post some photos we could possible be of more assisatance.