Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bill Pentz cyclone build.

Well here's my final test on flip-flop circuit. I'm 100% happy with this one. Now I just have to implement it.

Do you need to hold the button down as long as you show for each action or will a quick tap work without the relays chattering?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Do you need to hold the button down as long as you show for each action or will a quick tap work without the relays chattering?
    You can hold it as long as you want and there be no malfunction in the circuit and/or you can press it this fast as you want and will be no malfunction in the circuit.

This was the problem I was trying to overcome.

My original designs always "HAD" to be a quick press and released quickly (faster than latching or unlatching). I was unhappy with that situation, but it worked.

I finally came up with this circuitry tonight, "so" no matter a short quick hit or a long hold, the same outcome would be achieved per contact push.

Each button is a momentary two wire control. The NC is not used at all. Four wires can be run to each and every button in parallel controlling the motor start contactor and backfeeding the indicator lights.

And if power is ever interrupted, it will stay in it's off position indefinitely till start command is reinstated.

Edit; p.s. Alan you can pick my brain any day of the week.
    Matt
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 09-20-2014 at 6:10 AM.

Today I borrowed a friends anemometer to test out my cyclone airspeed which I have yet to test for the last two years. My friend which as well is a forum member let me borrow this little instrument and gave me a few hints how to use it more accurately. Initially I brought it up to where the opening of the 6 inch main intake is, and it overran the top speed of this instrument. So like I was advised build a bigger intake to slow down the air intake. I cut a hole in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and attach the bucket to the 6 inch opening which has 11 1/4 " ID at the other end. I retested the airflow at the opening of the bucket in numerous places to try to come up with an average. I decided to use bucket, as I calculated the opening was darn close to 100 in.² (or 0.7 ft.²) and I figured that would be an easy math calculation. The opening of the bucket was almost exactly 3 1/2 times my main. After testing this around six or seven times in different locations throughout the opening of the bucket, I came to an average of 2800 ft./m. Basically I think my homemade cyclone is getting around 1925 ft.³/m. Basically from my calculations the airspeed is 180 km/h (or 111 mph). If I'm off with any of my math please inform me.

I'm not actually sure if this would be considered extremely high or middle range. What are others CFM's?
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 12-07-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Hey Matt, that is about as high as a 5 hp motor will go. Did you check the amp draw when you had the bucket over the end of the pipe? I would have thought 2800cfm would overamp your motor. 17" is generally used with a 7.5" motor for that reason. A 17" curved impeller with a 7.5 motor will deliver your numbers. That is more than I've seen on any 5 hp system. Dave

David not 2800 cfm 1925 cfm and yes 5hp. It was 2800 f/m at 11 1/4 dia.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    David not 2800 cfm 1925 cfm and yes 5hp. It was 2800 f/m at 11 1/4 dia.
    My Bad. got it now. Will be interested to hear the cfm right before a machine port. The important cfm is with all the restrictions built in. That is where the extra diameter shoulld help. Typically the working cfm for a 6" main with pipe and filters is in the 1000-1200 range. If you can do better than 1400 and still stay under FLA you have an efficient impeller design. Dave