Thread: Would this be a decent work table?

Would this be a decent work table?

I just make a worktable out of laminated 3/4" plywood, about 15" wide, using an aquarium stand as a base. I have put a vice, grinding wheel, and oscillating drum sander on it, but it is too small for a real worktable.

Would this be any better?
    http://www.sears.com/gladiator-6'-ad...irectType=SRDT

I could put it in the space I had reserved for a RAS that I guess I will not be getting, and use it instead of the top of my TS.

I have a Gladiator table. It is handy for a variety of things and looks very nice when you move enough stuff from it. My answer to your question is.... it depends on what you want to do with it. The adjustable height is a nice feature and it certainly seems heavy enough. The "depends" part comes in where you need to decide what it will be used for. I built a table sometime back and put most of a solid core door on top and left the banding rim slightly high so I could put a sacrificial hardboard top. There's a cheap vise on one end but I built storage into it with two drawers on one long side and a shelf on the other for a couple of tool boxes. There's also pegboard on the end where I hang large wrenches and hacksaws. The best feature - it's on dual locking casters so that I can easily roll it into place and use as an outfeed surface for the table saw. It is large enough at 36 x 72 inches to use as an assembly table. Between storage beneath, the outfeed function, and the ability to use it for project assembly, it is worth the real estate it demands. The Gladiator is heavy duty and will work as a workbench and the adjustable height will be handy to customize it to your comfort. A true woodworking bench is really more like a multi-functional vise meant to hold work in many different ways and is especially handy for doing hand work. My Gladiator table is 8 ft long and not height adjustable; it is and will be a place to work on and deposit things until I find a spot for them. Consider putting a good set of dual-lock swivel casters if you want to use it for infeed/outfeed for your table saw in addition to other purposes. If space is no problem, you will find uses for it, but you should have an idea what it will be used for. I bought mine for a C-note at a Sears where they wanted it out of the store. I was not immediately convinced but my wife insisted and I'm sure I'll get good use from it in the new shop. I envision it as a general use area for things other than woodworking, the same purpose it serves now under my somewhat enclosed carport (temporary shop). One tip to consider - rather than mount things to your bench top, such a s a vise and shop grinder, mount them on a thick piece of wood that is easily stored just below or near the bench and easily placed and quick-clamped when needed. Save the bench top space. I love quick clamps and use them constantly.

Blog Entries
    From just looking at the photos, I would be concerned about racking since there is no bracing lengthways. Maybe you could add your own if you think the pricing is good. I don't know about the price since I am not in the market for a table.

One of the best (but very heavy) workbenches that I ever had was made from a solid oak flat surface door about 2" thick. I just trimmed it narrower to eliminate the door knob, latch, and hinge holes and then made a 4X4 frame for it to sit on. It cost me about $40 total for the materials and was a very solid workbench. The door came from a salvage place and, other than the knob, latch, and hinge holes, it was without any damage. I think I paid $20 for it. I moved from that house and had no workshop for a few years, so I sadly left that bench behind. My present workshop is smaller, so I haven't built another, at least not yet. I truly miss that old door workbench. It was dead flat and more stable than any other workbench that I've ever worked on.

Charley

I don't know where else you shop but I recently bought a table almost exactly like that one at Sam's Club but without the adjustable height (38") for $200. So far, I have been very well pleased.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I just make a worktable out of laminated 3/4" plywood, about 15" wide, using an aquarium stand as a base. I have put a vice, grinding wheel, and oscillating drum sander on it, but it is too small for a real worktable.

Would this be any better?
    http://www.sears.com/gladiator-6'-ad...irectType=SRDT

I could put it in the space I had reserved for a RAS that I guess I will not be getting, and use it instead of the top of my TS.
    I have a Gladiator table (8') and it's very solid. However, the wood will not withstand heavy pounding (I've got various dings and dents) and it can slide across the floor if you're trying to plane. For mounting tools or assembly work it's a good option. For hand tool woodworking I would suggest that you build a bench. I made one for <$200 out of construction lumber and plywood that is very sturdy.