Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my bronze chariot planes

One of my bronze chariot planes

I cast several of these planes years ago when I had an out door casting outfit that I made.

Now I cannot find a decent picture,and for some reason cannot delete this post. So,I'm stuck with this picture.

The engraving was done with the hammer and chisel method,but the reflected light makes it difficult to see it.

The casting was made of 90% old copper pipe fittings,and 10% pure tin. The wedge is rosewood.

The front sole of these type planes is always steel,attached with 2 steel screws,as seen. It helped to make the mouth very small.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-09-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    That is incredibly gorgeous.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thank's Brian. I reported my own post,asking it be deleted. I did not see how bad the picture was until it got enlarged. What happened to the "delete" function?

Nice work, George!

What's the size of it?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Very nice George! I'd love to know more about how you did the casting.

Wow, that's beautiful, George. You are a master.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The casting was done from a wooden pattern I made. I used Petrobond sand. It relies upon a little motor oil instead of water to hold it together. It is much easier than
    green",or water based casting sand,and is pretty fine in texture. It makes a little smoke when hot metal is poured into it,but that is not a problem especially when used out doors.

I got tired of trying to work out doors,and after a few Summers stopped casting. While I still have my shop made casting flasks,sand,and other tools,I left the furnace when I moved years ago.

The furnace was made by taking a 5 gallon container,and making a tapered plug that looked like a bucket for the inner form. I bought rather expensive high temp refactory clay and poured it into the space between the form and the 5 gallon can. The heat was gas. I even managed to get enough heat to melt cast iron,but only as an experiment. It's a bother to break up small engines to get iron for making castings.

I sure hope the original post doesn't get deleted. We'll take whatever picture we can get.

Looks like it's too late to delete it now.

Exquisite work.

Care to guess how many hours invested
    in the engraving, alone?

Kudos

George -

You slay me. Seriously.

Every so often, you just pick out any-old amazing thing you have done, out of what must thousands, and drop them on us so casually......... Almost like a shrug and - "Oh yeah - there was also this one."

Keep 'em coming, Kemo Sabe.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Now that is incredible. I really need to learn to engrave metal.

I only have a few hours in the engraving,IIRC. But now it would take me 3 years.

A guy who could make that would have no trouble carving a couple of horses ,a Roman charioteer ,...then making a stop
    motion Ben Hur film!

Blog Entries
    Wow!

Wow!

jtk

Had to say wow twice to have enough letters to post.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)