Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of my bronze chariot planes

Hi George

Not too shabby. Not too shabby at all!

I would really love to see an album - web or paper - to collect images of your tools, furniture and musical instruments. Each would need a description of build and related methodology. There is so much technique to pass on.

Incidentally, did you do the engraving on the sides - it does not look like it was cast (the image is too small to see much detail).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Lovely work George, and based on skills that are likely at risk of being lost. Begs all sorts of interesting questions - how in a more egalitarian society where the elites that bought high end stuff and the low cost labour that made it possible don't exist in the same way any more can such skills be kept alive?

Derek,the engraving was done with hammer and chisel. The casting itself was quite rough,and metal had to be milled away on all surfaces to begin to get it smooth. Then,surfaces were filed and sanded smooth with wet or dry paper.

I have no drawings of the engraving. I usually just drew C,S and other curves on the metal,so as to fill out the spaces. Then,added details like leaves and went to engraving. Many engravers worked like this in the old days,though they frequently smoked the work afterwards and took rubbings on paper. The main aim of the design was to evenly fill out the surfaces so that no place was "busier" than another. The same applies to planning 100% surface inlay work,as on the marquetry guitar(though I did pre draw that work on paper). It was a larger surface,and I wanted to make sure all the surfaces went together harmoniously. I.E.: The body,neck and peghead.

Ian,I can't recall what happened to this plane. I did have several collectors buying from me at the time.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-10-2014 at 7:57 AM.

George,
    Your work is incredible yet you make it sound so easy.
    Don

Fantastic work. I would love to own one of those or say that I made one. Very nice work.

Just a beautiful little plane George. Were you inspired by a particular plane from the past?
    I have always thought it difficult to make a small short plane like a chariot plane look graceful. Something about going from the high heal to the low toe in such a short distance. I have been playing with the idea of making a small chariot plane, but every time I start sketching things, it just looks clumsy to me.
    There is a grace to yours that I really enjoy seeing.

Jeff