Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tormek sharpening systems-how good are they?

tormek sharpening systems-how good are they?

I would like to here from anyone who has used or has one of these slow speed wet grind units. I learned to sharpen with a hollow bevel and still prefer it. At the present I am considering options. Tormek,slow speed grinder(1800 rpm) etc. So let's here it, what are you using and how does it work?

I have the original Tormek and find that it works very well. Solid and well built machine. Only utilize it to sharpen chisels and plane irons.The only drawback that I observe is that it would work far more efficiently if I had a dedicated sharpening station set up for it.

When I bough the Tormek, it was the only game on the street. Have no idea how its clones compare or if they even come close.

I've got the Work Sharp WS3000 ($151) and use it primarily for sharpening my chisels. It does the job to my satisfaction. I looked at the Tormek but couldn't justify the big price tag. I suppose the Tormek puts a sharper edge on the tool, but frankly that ultra-sharp edge wears quickly and I just don't need razor sharp chisels. I use my chisels for woodworking project cleanup and for general construction and the Work Sharp does the job for me. If you've got the money to burn, I'm sure you'd be happy with the Tormek based on the glowing reviews it gets.

You didn't mention your application. What type of tools are you looking to sharpen and for what intended use?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've got the Work Sharp WS3000 ($151) and use it primarily for sharpening my chisels. It does the job to my satisfaction. I looked at the Tormek but couldn't justify the big price tag. I suppose the Tormek puts a sharper edge on the tool, but frankly that ultra-sharp edge wears quickly and I just don't need razor sharp chisels. I use my chisels for woodworking project cleanup and for general construction and the Work Sharp does the job for me. If you've got the money to burn, I'm sure you'd be happy with the Tormek based on the glowing reviews it gets.

You didn't mention your application. What type of tools are you looking to sharpen and for what intended use?
    Sorry I guess I did not make myself clear. I mainly need a grinder for chisels and plane irons. I would also probally eventually use it for lathe tools.

I'm not a big fan of the tormek. It's very expensive, especially when you add in the jigs that you'll need. It's also messy because it's a wet system. You'll need a place where you can put it where the water won't be a problem. The grinding wheel will go out of round so you'll need a diamond tool to dress it. You'll probably also need some water stones to finish your sharpening, and to flatten the backs of chisels and plane blades. While some people may tell you that you can flatten them on the side of the Tormek stone, people I know who tried it did not have much success.

It's basically just an update of the old blacksmith's grinding wheel.

I use the WorkSharp 3000. The WS is not perfect - it's underpowered - but it gets the job done, and it's dry sharpening. It's a lot less expensive then the Tormek. I also use some Shapton stones to finish my sharpening. You can see my process here.

Mike

[If you go with a WS, search here for threads that talk about using diamond disks on it.]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the grizzly version made in Germany. It makes my chisels and irons sharp. The leather wheel efficiently removes the wire edge.

I'm going to jump on the WS3000 bandwagon. It was a game changer for me. Super easy to use and my chisels are super sharp. I grind my lathe tools on a 8" slow speed bench grinder.

I have the jet clone. I bought it for lathe chisels, but I have never really got the hang of it. The Woverine is just so much easier and quicker. To be fair I haven't given it a real chance. I intend to give it another shot once I get my shop up and running, but wish I had not bought it in the first place. It may end up on CL.

I can only add that I believe I have heard some turners say (years ago when the Tormek was new and getting lots of buzz) that it is not so good for sharpening turning tools. Either one had to buy more Tormek jigs or it was not handy to use for turning tools, or something.............
    David

I have one.
    Works exactly as advertised.
    All jigs I've tried did what they purported to do.

no experience with ws3000 or clones.

Not. A problem with mess or other problems.

i sharpen turnig tools and other blades from knives to axes to scissors without any problems.

try it. You'll like it.

Dave

I have the Tormek early model and only sharpen chisels and plane irons. I also have water stones thru 8000 grit. The Tormek is faster and after stropping on the leather wheel leaves a good sharp edge in little time. A little experience with the Tormek is all it takes to develop your technique to keep the water under control, the same with water stones. Flattening the backs and chisels is best done on the water stones. The side of Tormek stone just doesn't do the job, don't know why.

Naturally, I have compared the stones and the Tormek. IMHO the stones leaves a slightly sharper edge, not a lot, but a little. The difference is the time involved, for a chisle takes 4-5 mins on the Tormek. I have not been able to develop any speed at all with the water stones. Takes 20 mins or more. I use a sharpenig guide and follow a technique described in a popular w.w. mag, but I cannote develop any speed at all, but they are certainly sharp.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I bought the Jet version as it was on sale and reduced for quick sale. Now I know why, it is a very messy machine and for me, not worth the hassle. It does a good job of sharpening but you also get a good edge using sandpaper various grits fastned to a sheet of MDF or a sheet of glass. As mentioned above, the jigs are very expensive.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

I have one and it works as advertised. I bought mine at a wood show and it came with a bunch of jigs and a stone dressing tool. It does an outstanding job on turning tools. It's not messy even though it uses water. There is no splashing and mine sits on a tray to contain drips.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    I have one and it works as advertised. I bought mine at a wood show and it came with a bunch of jigs and a stone dressing tool. It does an outstanding job on turning tools. It's not messy even though it uses water. There is no splashing and mine sits on a tray to contain drips.
    Wow. I really am blown away by the input on this forum. Thanks to everyone for the info. Where do I find Worksharp products? Also would I be better served overall with a slow speed bench grinder and a jig such as the wolverine and dry grinding basic bevels and then honing on water or oilstones? My experience so far has been limited to basic chisels and plane irons. Turning tools are new for me. My interest is general woodworking.

I had one for a while, and it did a fine job, but it was just too painfully slow. Everything I do is on billable hours, and it bothered me more than anything else with how slow it was. Now I'm using a CBN wheel on a really smooth grinder, and it turned a job that took some long lengths of multiple minutes, into a job that takes a few seconds. Often people are standing around watching me work, and the Tormek just didn't fit. I never get in a hurry to do anything, but efficiency is one reason I'm able to get paid like I do.

I'm sure it would serve a hobbyist just fine, but it was the biggest source of aggravation I had for a short while.