Thread: What to do? T-12 Fixtures

What to do? T-12 Fixtures

I have six new-in-box, 4', three-lamp, T12 fixtures sitting in my garage. My garage already has T12 troffer style fixtures installed by the previous owner, and some surface mount T12 fixtures over the work bench. My shop area would benefit from additional fixtures, and two or three of the existing fixtures have non-working ballasts or lamps.

So, considering the T12 phase out, what would you do with these new fixtures: 1) Install what I have, stock up on T12 lamps, and carry on for 20,000 hrs, 2) sell the fixtures or ballasts if I can and transition to T8, or 3) do something else?

All opinions are welcome.

If they're really nice fixtures you can just replace the ballasts and connectors with t8 pieces for around $20 per. When I looked at it I found the same basic fixtures I had in t8 for $19 per though so it didn't seem worth the effort so I just donated the old t 12s to habitat.

Look on ebay for the ballast replacements. I bought a whole box, at less than half the price of buying in the store. Now when a t 12 goes bad, I just put a t 8 ballast in and put daylight bulbs in the fixture. If you have decent quality fixtures, it is worth replacing the ballasts. You need a small jar of the little wirenuts, or rewire the whole fixture. There are many threads about the changing of ballasts.

Good ideas. I haven't put the calculator to it, but I wonder how long it would take for the energy savings of the T8 to catch up to the cost of a T8 lamp + ballast.

Jim, what are you using for daylight bulbs. Sylvania had a nice T12 daylight lamp that 5000K and 90 CRI. I haven't found anything comparable in a T8.