Thread: Just one small Gloat!

Just one small Gloat!

Look what we came across today 100_0517 (480x640).jpg100_0518 (640x480).jpg

You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Blog Entries
    nicee..... big and old

I've had one of those since the early 60's. It always reminded me of a musket,the way the "barrel band" goes around the pencil,and the leg looks like the forestock of a musket. I think Starrett might have even made those until recently,though it's an old design.

The Starrett dividers are particularly nice because you can snug the inner fine adjuster up tight so that the divider holds its setting. In my opinion, wing dividers are a superior design for woodworking - faster to adjust, and even the less fancy ones are less prone to accidental measurement shrink.

That is a very nice piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Blog Entries
    A worthwhile gloat! I have wanted one a long time but other tool purchase always take my money.

Blog Entries
    Very gloat worthy.

A good size for woodworking. My Starrett dividers are a bit big for everyday woodwork.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The best part of the gloat is, it didn't cost anything. The person handed it to me and ask if it was usable in my work. The rest is history, as they say.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I just remembered that I have another version of that compass. This one has the "pencil holder leg" on both sides. It was available with divider point legs,and caliper legs as well,plus you could put the divider point leg on one side,and use a pencil on the other side for a pencil compass as you have there. I'm not sure where mine is,but I still have it somewhere.

For an early machinist,it offered several tools without the added expense of buying a whole new tool for each function.