Thread: Necessary bits to get for the beginner ?

Necessary bits to get for the beginner ?

Ok, so is there a consensus on the basic bits I need to purchase ?

At this point (as a CNC Newb) I'm just looking to get the hang of the machine and explore capabilities on a small scale

So I guess I'm looking for 5-10 of the essential bits I need to get started - or maybe a 'starter pack' of some sort ?

I'm really leaning toward a Dremmel 4000 series with flex shaft to start me off, if that matters, and I'll ONLY be working in wood
    Last edited by Mike vonBuelow; 08-09-2014 at 5:44 PM.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

My recomendation is to plan on upgrading the spindle to a 1/4" trim router when possible. The selection of bits is much better and the machine will be able to cut faster than a 1/8" spindle.

John

You better see if you can get that machine running/jogging on all 3 axis before buying anything/a spindle for it. One step at a time

What power supply are you buying?

You going with Mach or CNCLinux?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike, Yes, that process is moving slowly... I was able to meet up with Brent Hubbard (of hubbardcnc*com) and we tinkered around a bit. While the steppers are moving, they're not moving optimally, so I'll need to mess around with settings. He sold me a 30W power supply, not sure of the maker.

Back to the bits question if I may, are these bits any good - if anyone can ID the maker by the packaging, it would be most helpful - there is a slight English barrier to the gentleman who is selling them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

The ones on the left are for drilling printed circuit boards and are tiny. The bits in the tubes look like files or rasps, not the kind of bits you would want to learn on.

For wood, router bit style bits, but it looks like you will need 1/8" shank bits for your flex shaft spindle.

John

The one in the think&tinker package looks to be a ball nose bit and should work ok. Precise Bits (think&tinker) are good 1/8" bits they have a larger selection of different bits. I use a lot of there 1/8 3 flute down spiral bits and get a very clean cut for cut out and other work. I cant make out the rest of the bits to tell what they are.
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0