Thread: My Monster Changed from Green to Mustard...

My Monster Changed from Green to Mustard...

Looks like I"m moving from the Green Monster fan club to the Mustard Monster fan club, as I'm now the proud owner of a nicely used Powermatic 3520B!

2014-08-10 17.35.21_Medium.jpg

I picked up the lathe plus a whole host of turning tools, a Monster hollowing rig, OneWay Easy Core system, a very nice vacuum chuck setup and a bunch of chucks, turning blanks and other great stuff, courtesy of our own Ken Glass. The purchase price made the 5-hour one-way trip well worth it -- as did Ken and his wife's great hospitality; we were even treated to a wine tasting from Ken's own home winery (and it was excellent, BTW!)

So now I've got every toy I could possibly need, I guess the only thing I lack is the turning experience to put this stuff to good use. But at least now I don't have any excuse for not being out in the shop turning...

Thanks again, Ken!

PS If anyone is looking for a nice, gently used Grizzly G0733 lathe, check the classifieds section!

Congratulations! If you aren't already a member, get involved in a club so you can learn how to use all those nice toys.

Sweet..........You gonna like it!

that is a nice lathe and tools also. About the toys---do you hear a faint sucking sound behind you.

Way to go, I doubt if Ken even gave that lathe any bad habits.

Congratulations, I just pulled the trigger on a white "monster" last night, also gently used. Actually it is only the 1224, but it does step up from the 1220vs.

Way to go, Marty. And to John, you will fall in love with your small white monster. I have 2 of them(1224's) and the big boy white monster. I do most of my turning on the 1224. Enjoy it.
    Joe

8. Marty..........you will like the mustard monster! I have turned on 7 different 3520b units at this point in time in my turning life..........all but one of them were really sweet........I think the other had a bearing issue, but they are nice. I have also found that my 18/47 Grizz will do most of anything the 3520b will do, except the 3520b is heavier and will accommodate a slightly bigger blank with the 20" swing vs. the 18" for the Grizzly. The Grizz you have has a longer bed which allows more versatility without having to remove the tailstock, but that is a very minor issue most of the time......still nice to be able to slide it all the way to the end and have room not to hit your elbow on the pointed live center!

I don't know how you feel about the two in comparison, but my G0698 has about as nice a performance as the 3520b's I have turned on.......at least that is my personal experience. Fit and finish on the 3520b and the banjo design is better, but price point more than makes up for that as long as the performance is there..............that is my value judgment, at least.

All that being said, if I had a chance at a nice used 3520b for a good price..........yep, I would likely bite. If I could get my dream lathe, it would be a Robust American Beauty, ................that will come in time!

Happy turning and hope you really enjoy it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    All that being said, if I had a chance at a nice used 3520b for a good price..........yep, I would likely bite. If I could get my dream lathe, it would be a Robust American Beauty, ................that will come in time!
    I was (am?) perfectly happy with my G0733, but the opportunity to get a PM 3520B along with the other big-ticket accessories I've been looking to acquire (hollowing system, coring system, vacuum chuck) was just too compelling to pass up. Haven't had a chance to play with the new toy yet (spent all day Sunday playing grease monkey on my son's car...) - but my initial impression is that the 3520B is a lot quieter and smoother than the G0733. Not sure that will make any difference in the quality of turnings, but it's exactly the kind of "fit and finish" improvement I would expect between Grizzly and Powermatic.

Like you, I've been eying the Robust American Beauty, but at the moment my skills and my bank account preclude that kind of upgrade. I'm comfortable knowing that the 3520B will hold its resale value and make the step up to the AB a lot easier when the time comes.