Thread: Saw bench weekend project

Saw bench weekend project

I wanted to make a workbench of some kind that was a better height for my grandson. I hit on the idea of building a saw bench instead of a small workbench. This one, based on Judson's design, is 12" x 36" x 20" and was made out of a single white pine 2" x 12".

I tried draw boring for the first time to attach the feet. Initially, I didn't make taper on the pins thin enough or long enough and had some ugly blow out on the back side. The second foot went better. I also added a pair of removable pieces that connect the stretchers for some added strength. 20 M&T joints make this a very sturdy little bench.

As a side note, I don't know how I ever made tenons without a router plane. It makes fitting them a pleasure.

My grandson's bench hook sits nicely on the surface and there's plenty of room to set tools and stock as well as clamping surfaces all at a height that's much better for a 7 year old.

DSC02089.jpg
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Nicely done, Daniel!

Really dig the curvy feet, I wish I had done that.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Very nice, Daniel. Can't help much on the construction details, but probably would have killed to have one like that when I was a kid.
    Great job.

Don
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 08-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.

I wanted to figure out how to make the curved feet by hand. I was partially successful but in the end had to do a lot of power sanding. I was able to get the shape roughed out pretty well with a coping saw but the cuts were about 1/8" away from the lines and jagged.

I tried my spoke shave on the outside curve and my cheap Nicholson rasp on the inside curve. At one point I actually chopped the inside curve with a 1/4" chisel to get near the line.

I think I need a primer on making S curves by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Really dig the curvy feet, I wish I had done that.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Very nice!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Great bench.

Your grandson will likely enjoy this for a long time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice indeed. Make sure you personalize it, sign & date it somewhere. This is a nice momento that I'll bet he looks back over the years fondly.

That came out great! It's nice to see the results from a thread asking for ideas/guidance.
    (I'm as guilty as anyone else on that count...)
    AKA - "The human termite"

Curious as this is gonna be double duty are you planing to mount a vise on it?
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I don't think I'm going to put a vice on it. He can use clamps for most things. If we really need to use a vice, he can stand on a step stool and use one on my bench.
    -- Dan Rode