Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help make a choice between two table saws

Please help make a choice between two table saws

Hello SMC,

I'm fairly new to posting here but I've lurked for a while and it's time to ask for advice.

I've got two Unisaws and I can't decide which to keep.
    Keeping both is not an option for several reasons (among others, space and my wife thinking that two saws entitles her to twice as many shoe/purse shopping sprees....)

Saw #1 - 1959 with an older Excalibur fence
    1.5hp 1ph on 230v
    This saw came from a local school and was taken care of, it needed some tuning but no major repairs.
    The starter is finicky, most times it will start but this past weekend it had failed to start a couple times, I suspect it needs cleaning but may need replacement (~$100 locally)
    It is decently well aligned and cuts nicely except I've noticed some slowing on longer cuts through thick material.
    The fence is ok but a pain in the butt to align.

Saw #2 - 1997 with biesemeyer fence
    3hp 1ph on 230v
    This saw has unknown history and I think it was rode kinda hard and put away damp.
    The starter was burnt out and needs replacement (I've since bought one but haven't installed it).
    When wired up with a basic on/off switch for testing the saw fired right up and was smooth as butter but I haven't done any test cutting as I want to get the starter installed first.
    The fence is a real biesemeyer in decent shape... we all know and love or hate these fences.

My problem is that I like the 1959, I think it's a really cool saw and I like the looks of it. It cuts well aside from the slight slowing and I've been told by some people that "they just do that" but I'm not sure how much I believe it. Nostalgia aside, this is probably the saw I should sell but I'd like some other opinions.

The 1997 is obviously more powerful and much newer but the unknown history and treatment worry me a little. It seems fine but I realize that until I install the new starter and make some sawdust I can't be sure of it's performance.

I guess the question is (assuming the 1997 performs), which saw should I keep?
    Is the slowing on the old saw normal or is it a sign of upcoming repairs?

Even though the 1959 has less hp, the torque in those motors is huge.
    Parts for the older saw might be easier to find.
    Swap the fences and dump the new one.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The older models do have style but do you want a museum piece or do you want a user. I would keep both until I could rebuild the 1997 one and make sure all was ok. Or you could put the Beisemeyer fence on the '59 and use that one.

I realize it's not really fair to compare a saw that I know works against a saw that I'm unsure about but I don't want to make a decision on sentiment alone.

if you can then KEEP both and give your wife money for 4 shopping trips

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    if you can then KEEP both and give your wife money for 4 shopping trips
    And as usual, Ray has the answer.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hardee harr harr.... Then how am I supposed to afford the revenge motorcycle which shows my angst towards her purse collection?

Keep them both... Place them back-to-back with a small table between the two... That way either saw acts as an outfeed table for the other. You can keep a dado set in one saw and a good rip blade in the other... If I had the $$ and room, that is the set-up I would wish for!

Michael

Switch fences.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

10. Sell them both and look for a 12" saw.

It really depends on the work you want to do. For me, making furniture, a 12" or larger table saw is what I want.

I'd prefer 3hp and the Biesemeyer fence. I also like the old saw. So guess I'd probably keep both, and get an add on slider for one.

Measure any deviation in the miter slots. Put the best top on the newer saw, and keep it. Or just keep both and keep a dado blade on one.

Dump them both: use the money to get a PowerMatic 66 saw, and refurbish it as required.

Keep the 1959.

Clean everything up including the starter and replace bearings.

Sell the 1997 and use the money on a fence and possibly even a new motor for the 1959 if the slowing down concerns you. Ironically the older stuff seems to be supported better than newer stuff. The old iron were built exceptionally well. Besides a 17 year old saw is not that uncommon....a 55 year old saw that saws will the best of them is pretty uncommon.

I am starting a restoration of a 1983 PM66 now and will be doing a complete tear down ,rebuild, and paint job. Hopefully I can get it completed sooner rather than later. It did not have a fence and was able to find a biesemeyer setup for it.

I would look around and see if the motor on the old saw could be rebuilt or refurbished, as I think it can. Check some of your local starter and alternator repair guys, it is not uncommon that they have experience with industrial type motors as well.
    You are just going to have to pick the overall better performer of the two, live with your decision. Table saws do have a rather large foot print, if space was not an issue in my shop I would like to have 2 as well, second one would probably be a 10" table top type, for small stuff.