Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repurposing a #4 into a scrub plane - good idea?

Blog Entries

Repurposing a #4 into a scrub plane - good idea?

I have an old #4 clone (Craftsman) that I've been considering repurposing as a scrub.

1) Are #4's too short and/or light to make a good scrub plane?
    2) After cambering the blade, would I just back the chipbreaker off 1/4" or so from the edge? Does blade chatter become a concern with this back-off? Should I buy a thicker blade?
    3) Should I just be looking for an old #40 instead?

Thanks for your feedback!

Paul Sellers has a video on just this topic. I have also been considering this because scrub planes go for ridiculous prices on eBay right now. Almost to the point where a brand new Lie Nielsen makes just as much sense. Even my local antique store has a scrub for sale at $110 !!

Looking forward to the comments by more experienced neanders here.

Here a link for you to Mr. Sellers video on this topic.

http://youtu.be/XN5QSTaVzRQ

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link Mike. I'm also interested in hearing about any limitations / issues with repurposing a #3 or #4 in this manner.

I've seen it done with a 1" wide shoulder plane.

Worked great.

The narrower the blade, the more pronounced you can
    grind the profile.

The question is whether you need a scrub plane, or whether a jack plane would not be a better choice?

If you are removing large areas of waste, then go for the scrub. Otherwise a jack is the better choice. I rarely need a scrub plane - a jack with an 8" radius removes waste pretty fast, and with less surface damage to clean up next.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The question is whether you need a scrub plane, or whether a jack plane would not be a better choice?

Well, I've got a jack plane but I haven't ground any radius into the blade (corners are rounded though). I guess this thread should be "what should I do with a rusty #4 that's laying around". I was thinking of the scrub plane since I've just started dimensioning lumber by hand but maybe a higher angled frog smoother would be a more used option (maybe not since I own a scraping plane)? Here's my current list of planes:

- #4 with a good blade (used as a smoother)
    - rusty #4
    - Jack plane
    - large scraper plane
    - small and large shoulder planes
    - 2 block planes

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far...

I have a vintage #40 with good iron, I have never used it. I have a 40-1/2 that I made two new irons for with differing radius, neither iron has ever been used except as toys. A scrub plane has a masculine iron, the biggest difference in a #4. A #5 with camber is adequate for all but the roughest stock, and for rough stock I take my wood to an electric planer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

9. It sounds like you have nothing to lose by setting up the sears #4 as a scrub except perhaps a little length on the iron if you decide to convert it back. Go for it. It will probably work out just fine.

I'd say go for it. I repurposed an extra jack plane w/ a wide mouth to be my scrub -I think the camber is about a 3-4" radius. I used a small side dish plate as the template. Yes, a jack plane w/ a slight camber works for surfacing and thicknessing stock, but for me, a scrub (i.e. repurposed jack) is much more efficient i.e. faster and less effort. The drawback as Derek mentioned is there is some clean up from the gouges, but a jack plane makes quick work of that. A scrub like the #40 is more the size of a #3 plane so a #4 would be fine as well. Smaller is better I would imagine, b/c the size/weight of a jack plane can get tiresome. Chatter is not much of an issue b/c of the camber.

Based on 15 minutes of experience I concur with Derek

I just turned a cheap Dunlap #5 into a "scrub" plane. In reality, it's more like a jack plane with a more aggressive camber to the iron. After the first few test cuts, I actually flattened the radius a bit. That said, I'll most likely get a nicer Stanley #5. With 2 irons, I can swap between and 8" camber for stock removal and, more commonly, a flat edge for shooting. At that point, I'll convert the Dunlap to a true scrub.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

If you are removing large areas of waste, then go for the scrub. Otherwise a jack is the better choice. I rarely need a scrub plane - a jack with an 8" radius removes waste pretty fast, and with less surface damage to clean up next.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I made my 1970's Stanley #5 into a scrub.
    I used it once or twice (I am a slow learner).
    Then I bought this and have used it and used it and used it . . .
    and . . . I love it ! ! ! !
    I would never ever even consider a wimpy blade plane for a scrub.
    This LN has a way more robust blade, the plane is quite light because it is narrow. The handles can take horsing on and cause no trouble.

Worth every penny and it is a beautiful plane to look at.
    One of the top three planes I absolutely could not do without.
    I would sell my big 'O five hundred dollar jointers with out missing them (other than to look at) but if I didn't have my little LN scrub I think I would go looking for another sport.

PS: As I always say take a look at these photos and you will see by the saw dust (plane dust) which ones get used and which ones get looked at and tucked away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-11-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added photos of jointers
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I couldn't help it

LN scrub good.
    Other stuff . ..
    Nah dude, nah
    (based on days and days and days of scrubbing my brains out).
    I rather enjoy hogging off hard wood cross or diagonal grain.
    Makes me feel like a wood worker as compared to a machine tool operator.
    I would MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather scrub plane a table than to ride a stationary exercise bike indoors or take an aerobics class.
    Works the legs and abs as well as the arms and the back to some degree.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 08-11-2014 at 11:28 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I put a very aggressive camber on a trashy #5 with a Hock blade.
    Works well, and made a huge difference in my ability to actually flatten a board (previously, seemed like I was planing and planing and things never really seemed to flatten out)

In fact, works well enough that I haven't been motivated to check into a dedicated scrub.
    (although I've also read some of the anti-scrub blogs, that opine the tool was largely for removing edge material, rather than flattening)

Seems like a few people are also fans of wooden scrubs (something about being a bit lighter; although the weight of my #5 hasn't bothered me to-date… although I was getting pretty drippy when flattening my workbench on a warm day)

Matt

Blog Entries
    My main scrub is made from a #5-1/4. It was beaten and abused badly, most likely while employed in a high school shop class. I also have a Dunlap (Millers Falls) 9 which is the same as a Stanley/Bailey #3 that is used occasionally for light scrub work.

I like the narrow blade which requires less effort than a heavier plane with a wider blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)