Thread: Bandsaw Power Question

Bandsaw Power Question

Hi, all,

It is time to update my (gasp) Central Machinery bandsaw to something a bit bigger and better. I have been very pleased with my Grizzly tools and I am looking at one of their bandsaws. I have a question for those out there with more experience: What difference will see between a 2HP and 3HP model? Practically speaking, what does the extra horse get me? I don't want to go for the larger model and find out that only a production shop will really use the extra power.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,
    How much resawing do you do? In my opinion that’s where you’ll see the value of more HP. My last and probably final upgrade went from a 1.5hp to a 4hp. Huge difference on resawing. The other tasks I use my bandsaw for, no difference.
    Jay

You won't see any difference in a home shop unless you want to resaw with a stock feeder............Rod.

Is it the same saw?......IOW's,the "only" difference is the HP of the motor?Or does the 3HP model come with more bells N whistles?

All else being equal you notice the power or lack there of when the resaw gets much over 6"-8" in hardwood. For curves and rips below 4" I hardly notice the difference between a 3hp saw and a 1.5 hp. That being said I'm inclined to go bigger if the price difference is not huge.

I don't know if one can quantify the feeling of being able to just throw something up on the saw and simply pushing it past the blade without having to: 1) carefully re-position the guides for optimal performance 2) start the cut, then back out and re tension the blade 3) monitor the feed rate down to the last microwhatever per nanosecond 4) Swap out to that expensive, new blade you were saving and do 1,2,3 all over again. I belong to the "mo powa-mo betta" school. Life changed for me after getting rid of the old Delta 14" and moving up to the MM 16" and the additional power made up the bulk of the difference.
    David

All I ever use my BS for is preparing blanks for woodturning from green wood. I am cutting bowl blanks as well as processing logs to spindle squares, pen blanks, etc. I have only owned one BS in my life which has a 3HP motor. It is a joy to just cut green wood anywhere from 2" to 14" thick without a lot of fooling about, just make the cut. If you are going to do that sort of thing, in green wood, then not a question. If not don't bother.

typically, bigger motors are on bigger saws - the larger wheels not only handle larger projects (distance from blade to frame) but often will allow wider blades for re-sawing - i would pay more attention to resaw size, max blade size and blade tension capacity

Simply put;

The 3HP will do everything the 2HP saw can do at a reduced load on the motor. The reverse is not true.
    Get the 3HP and don't look back.

In my personal opinion, the bandsaw is probably the most underutilized machine in many people's shops. I was taught that it was the 2nd/3rd machine in the milling process of lumber. Jointer, Bandsaw, Planer. That is does many other things is great, but it is a workhorse machine. Problem is that it is also a very large machine. If you have the room get the biggest and most powerful bandsaw you can fit/afford in the space.
    Resawing is not exclusive to just book matching. It's a part of the process of dimensioning wood for any project.
    A really nice powerful bandsaw opens up a whole different facet of woodworking. You have more control over your initial material selection for any project.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 08-12-2014 at 6:53 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I just recently bought a used grizzly 21". I spent almost a year contemplating what grizzly to buy. I was really tempted to buy the 17" anniversary edition. Im really glad I held out for the cast iron wheels just for the added weight and less vibration. Spend a bit more and you won't regret it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    You won't see any difference in a home shop unless you want to resaw with a stock feeder............Rod.
    +1. Extra HP will get you a faster feed rate. Blade quality and machine setup controls the quality of the cut. I upgraded by Laguna from 3HP to 5.5HP and there isn't an appreciable difference when hand feeding.

Thanks to all - this was very helpful and almost overwhelmingly in favor of the 3hp. I will probably end up with one of the 19" versions. I really appreciate all of your advise. Thanks!

Greg