Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodturning Design

Woodturning Design

It was posted over on WC that the parent company that published this magazine along with several others went bankrupt, and left Joe Herman out on a limb so to speak. Really too bad.

robo hippy

Wow-that's not good-for Joe or us. Maybe another publisher will pick it up and keep it going.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

That's too bad. I had let my subscription lapse and had recently considered re-upping it. I guess not.

It's a tough time to be in the magazine business.

Unfortunately, it was predictable. The company had been struggling for some time. Quite a loss for turners, and for Joe. He has contributed a lot to the art and hopefully, he will find another outlet.

Very sad development, not just for the woodturning community, and a great guy like Joe, but for all the crafts the parent company had in their portfolio.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

I just renewed my subscription so I guess I am out of luck.

Blog Entries
    I guess those recent mailings asking $100/yr for a subscription renewal must be even more painful to some...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Of course, this is (part of) the editorial section on their website, directly from Joe:
    I recently received an e-mail from “Alan” with some rather pointed observations and some suggestions of what he would like to see in future issues. And it got me to thinking about the direction of the magazine—a topic that we haven’t formally reviewed for quite a while.

So, with that thought, I am asking you to send some suggestions: What topics do you want us to touch on in future articles? What specific types of projects would you like to see? Our focus has always been on the beginning and intermediate turner—should that focus change? Are our regular features still worthwhile, or do we need to change direction and, if so, to what? Should we start a regular “Tips and Tricks” feature?
    Seems a bit odd to ask people what they want in future issues if the magazine is going to go belly up, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Of course, this is (part of) the editorial section on their website, directly from Joe:

Seems a bit odd to ask people what they want in future issues if the magazine is going to go belly up, no?
    Dan, you are assuming that Joe was aware of the pending doom. Actually, the final issue was all ready to go to print, when Joe got the news. He graciously called me with the news that my latest article was not going to see the light of day. Let's hope another publisher picks up the pieces.

I did send an e-mail to Wood Magazine which is part of Sunset magazines and told them I thought they should make a go at this magazine. Maybe if others chimed in.....

robo hippy

Dan. Where I work now it's common to get "the tap" on the shoulder that you're layed off.
    It has to be a shock for him and his family. I hope he is ok money wise. Something like this could ruin you. Our prayers go out to him.

I just recently renewed my subscription- guess that was a mistake. I really enjoyed the magazine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Dan, you are assuming that Joe was aware of the pending doom. Actually, the final issue was all ready to go to print, when Joe got the news. He graciously called me with the news that my latest article was not going to see the light of day. Let's hope another publisher picks up the pieces.
    Too true... I hope another company picks up the mag. I ordered back issues, so I have the complete set.

Yes Joe had no idea as issue 51 is at the printers, 52 ready and Joe was working on 53. He was fired on Friday as was everyone else at the company. I have written to Fox Chapel Publishing as I thought they would be a good match. publicity@foxchapelpublishing.com
    This was a profitable magazine so if you have other ideas post them and lets get someone to take over this magazine.
    Bill

It is really a shame. Woodturning Design was my favorite magazine. I just renewed last month and they cashed my check on 7/21.

They had to know that the magazine was done before they cashed my check, but still they cashed it.

No emails of explanation and nothing posted on the website. A real class act that All American Crafts!

Joe, I'm sorry you and others lost your jobs. I sincerely wish all of you the best of luck.

Gerald