Thread: Plane Till with Side Wing(s)

Blog Entries

Plane Till with Side Wing(s)

The space crunch in the shop was not letting me build the wall cabinet of my dreams so I kept on not building anything. I finally decided to go with a 'version 1' made of plywood and built as three modules. The plane till uses a variation on the cord hanging method shown by Chris Gouchnourin one of his articles. In this picture I have various tools positioned just for the photo. The end result should be planes and plane parephinalia in the till/gallery with all other goodies in the wings.

Plane Till (15).jpg . Plane Till (17).jpg

Both the till and the gallery are sized for current tools with room for growth. The side wings (one shown) have over 12 square feet of storage surface each to which I will attach various shop made tool holders. The second wing is still in the making and will reside on the opposite wall. Someday when my shop grows up they will stand to either side of the till.

Plane Till (28).jpg . Plane Till (29).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cool, VERY cool!

OK...make me one.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Blog Entries
    I really want one like Lie-Nielsen uses to display their planes with the screwdrivers also mounted at the top, but I deal with rust and all my planes reside in a drawer in plane socks with camphor blocks in the drawer. It sure would be nice to have them all out like this. Nice work. I wish I could get Baltic or Finnish birch plywood for fixtures and jigs but it is not available locally.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. I am lucky to live in a low humidity area (desert). I built a second wing and have it on an opposite wall until I rearrange someday). They are slowly getting populated. I find making tool holders while watching glue dry is a good way to pass the time.

Plane Till (33).jpgscrewdriver rack (1).jpgPlane Till (35).jpgPlane Till (34).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

VERY nice Glenn. Thanks for posting this.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”