Thread: Filling holes w/plugs

Filling holes w/plugs

Ok, so I have a bunch of screw holes to plug. I usually make my own plugs to match the specie I'm using. Using a tapered plug cutter from Veritas has always worked for me until today. I used a different countersink than I would normally (I KNOW it's around somewhere). The result was that the holes are larger than the plug, enough so they fall out. Anyone have a good remedy for filling these holes? This is an order for a client and I would like this to look right. Thanks for your expertise, folks!

John
    ...And now, back to your regularly scheduled shop time...

Mix a little very fine sawdust with your glue?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Put your plug cutter in the DP and use a dremel to open up the ID. May have to re-sharpen as well.

Buy a plug cutter that is the same size as the countersink.

Or, buy a 1/2" mortising chisel, and by hand, tap it hard to create a square recess. Then plug those with shop-made square blocks ripped at the tablesaw.

Like Jim said. I put glue on the plug and roll it in some sawdust. Place it in the hole and let dry, works fine.
    Richard

Thanks gents. The only other solution I could come up with is to re-drill the counterbore with a 1/2" bit and use an appropriate plug. Gonna give that a try on scrap and see if that'll do. If not, it looks like sawdust and glue to the rescue. Thanks again to the "collective" for good solutions.

John

Use a dowel the proper size and cut it off flush with the surface. Of course apply glue to part of dowel inserted in hole. Used this method for years.

A dowel will give you end grain, which may not look bad as a contrast, but I think he's going for the concealing angle and wants face grain on this.

Success! I re-drilled the counterbore with a 1/2" forstner bit then made 1/2" tapered plugs and glued them in. I like the tapered plugs as they fir rather snug. Yes Mort, they hide the holes rather nicely for a clean look. Thanks again for all the advice. BTW, these are the candy dispensers I make and sell on Etsy

John001.jpg

redrill larger, if it is for a customer it has to be done right