Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phone Recommendation

Cell Phone Recommendation

My aging Droid X2 has decided to go nuts. I need a replacement, and would like something budget friendly and current enough to be workable for at least two years. I don't play games (other than cribbage) or do anything particularly intensive that makes me think I need something state of the art.

What I want to do:
    find stuff on google maps
    do a web search now and then
    use the gas buddy app
    check email
    use the Free42 calculator app
    take photos
    maybe play some music
    use it as a hotspot if possible

I am on Verizon. The Droids were second-hand, and cheap. The two-year cost of ownership has been very low even with Verizon in the mix.

Although the coverage generally isn't as good, I wouldn't mind trying Simple Mobile or another pre-paid provider. Aside from cost, an advantage is that I am not stuck in a contract.

The Droid is running Android 2.3.4. Is there some minimum version that you recommend?

Preference for unlocked vs locked?

I don't have a specific recommendation for you but I am using a no contract Virgin Mobile smartphone. The one thing they don't tell you is that the internal memory is extremely limited, even with the SD card, and I can hardly download any apps and the phone is full. There are many system files and apps that just won't let you move them to the SD card. For me that's the most frustrating thing otherwise it works well enough for me. I primarily use Google Maps for traffic and check my email. Mine doesn't have hotspot capability and it uses the Sprint network so I do lose coverage while traveling sometimes.

I was told that the phones you get from Verizon have much more memory and allow the ability to download many apps that most of the no-contract phones won't tell you about or even tell you the internal memory on their phones.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

I believe the Droid X2 has 8GB internal, and I had a 32GB SD card. I have never had any issues.

You can get some good deals on Craigs List. Why not think big and get a used iPhone or Samsung Galaxie.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Do not buy used. I've heard of too many people getting burned. Android ver 2 is really old now. Like Windows 95.

I was just helping a neighbor lady get a new phone 2 days ago.
    You can get a Samsung Galaxy S3 for free. There was just an OS update to KitKat 4.4.2. We have 2 of them. Fits in your pocket. I love mine. Have had it for 2 years.

The Galaxy S4 is a little larger, and also runs KitKat 4.4.2. Probably $50 at the VZ store.
    There is also the S4 mini which is the size of the S3.

Now you have the Galaxy S5, which is kinda in between a phone and a phablet. This is what she got because of the ease of reading webpages, e-mail, etc.
    It is loaded with KitKat 4.4.2, but will be getting the update to Android L (no name yet. Maybe Lollipop?) when it is released.
    $250 with a 2 year contract, and a $150 rebate. I would love to have this phone, but it is a bit large. Will fit in a purse, but not a pocket.

A 2 year contract with unlimited talk, and text, w/ 2gig data is $60/mo. $70 with phone insurance. That can come in handy if you drop your brand new $600-$800 phone on the Verizon store's sidewalk.

Samsung are top of the line phones. LG makes some great models also, but I'm not so well versed in them.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 08-13-2014 at 6:34 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Do not buy used. I've heard of too many people getting burned.
    I thought about buying used to save a few bucks, but I am more than a little leery.

The Galaxy S3 is in my sights unless something else compelling comes along. A "free" phone sounds good too, but over a two-year period I spend less if I buy it outright assuming I go with a prepaid plan.

Having said that, has anyone used Net-10 or Simple Mobile? Verizon has great coverage, but I can save $10-$20/phone/month on prepaid and have more data to boot.

I'd get an iPhone 5c and not worry about a few bucks here and there, but I don't know how tight money is for you. I pay $88/mo for my iPhone 5 with Verizon, unlimited tall/text and 2GB data.

But it sounds like your hooked on Android devices only?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Do not buy used. I've heard of too many people getting burned. Android ver 2 is really old now. Like Windows 95.

I was just helping a neighbor lady get a new phone 2 days ago.
    You can get a Samsung Galaxy S3 for free. There was just an OS update to KitKat 4.4.2. We have 2 of them. Fits in your pocket. I love mine. Have had it for 2 years.

The Galaxy S4 is a little larger, and also runs KitKat 4.4.2. Probably $50 at the VZ store.
    There is also the S4 mini which is the size of the S3.

Now you have the Galaxy S5, which is kinda in between a phone and a phablet. This is what she got because of the ease of reading webpages, e-mail, etc.
    It is loaded with KitKat 4.4.2, but will be getting the update to Android L (no name yet. Maybe Lollipop?) when it is released.
    $250 with a 2 year contract, and a $150 rebate. I would love to have this phone, but it is a bit large. Will fit in a purse, but not a pocket.

A 2 year contract with unlimited talk, and text, w/ 2gig data is $60/mo. $70 with phone insurance. That can come in handy if you drop your brand new $600-$800 phone on the Verizon store's sidewalk.

Samsung are top of the line phones. LG makes some great models also, but I'm not so well versed in them.

Respectfully, my Galaxy S5 fits in my pocket, no problem at all. It's really not "that" big. The Note 3 takes it too another level, but the S5 isn't much bigger than the S3...surely not enough to make a difference in terms of fitting in your pocket

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I recently got a Motorola X from Republic Wireless. I've been very pleased with it. It's an excellent phone and I like the service. I'm using the $25/month plan.

For prepaid services, pay attention to what network the service uses. I use a prepaid provider, Airvoice Wireless. I haven't used their data services so don't know how they work. They use AT&Ts gophone network and work with any AT&T or unlocked GSM phone. There was a law passed recently that any carrier, once the terms of a contract are fulfilled must provide unlocking service. I bought a couple Samsung flip phones off Ebay and had good luck with them, SWMBO is still using one. Of course there's more to go wrong with a smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post

Respectfully, my Galaxy S5 fits in my pocket, no problem at all. It's really not "that" big. The Note 3 takes it too another level, but the S5 isn't much bigger than the S3...surely not enough to make a difference in terms of fitting in your pocket

David
    Ok, I'll put it this way. The S5 will fit in my pants pocket, but not a shirt pocket with a fold-over flap. That flap keeps the phone from falling out, hitting the pavement, or some place wet. It's a full 1" taller than my S3.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Verizon will probably give you a sweet deal on a 2 year contract. I think the Iphone 6 comes out next month, which means the 5's and 4's will be near free with a contract.
    Your best bet is to ask your provider what kind of deals they have.

When you go with Apple, you are locked into Apple. Many, many more apps are available for Android, especially free ones.
    Tethering is something you will pay for from Verizon, BUT, an app called Foxfi can be installed. That requires you to root your phone, which is a simple thing to do.

Android Central is the place to go for all things android.

Republic Wireless is the way to go if you have wifi at home, the moto g is a great little smartphone and its cheap NO CONTACT plans are great , Phone is 149 8gig or 179 16 gig
    they pay for them selves in the cheap plans. CHeck them out.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have a Nokia 520 on Straight Talk. The phone is $40 and ST is unlimited for $500 a year. I don't know what Free42 is, that might not be available for Windows; but other than limited apps it is a great phone.