Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another publishing house going under the water

Another publishing house going under the water

All American Crafts, publisher of over a dozen titles, including Woodturning Design and Creative Woodworks, abruptly closed last week, leaving suppliers, authors, employees (?), etc. high and dry.

They are the latest magazine demises after American Woodworker. The publishing industry's future is tough in this digital age. I prefer the hardcopy to the online issue.

Simon

Blog Entries
    I've been thinking that there has been so much written about so many different aspects of wood working, that the subject matter is getting a little thin.
    Without naming the magazines, it is getting to the point that I typically spend about 30 minutes on a new issue.
    There is one mag that existed 40 years ago, and the subject matter was much stronger than the magazine being published today under the same name.
    I have copies dating back 30 years, and still dig them out to read.

Add this to the digital age, and you have a tough market.

I'm not naming magazines because I don't want to turn this string into rant.

I'm sure the publishers are working really hard to deal with this.

+1 on the hard copy of magazines and other reading material....
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Blog Entries
    My subscription to American Woodworker was changed to Popular Woodworking (I guess everyone's will be). I got my 1st copy of Popular Woodworking just a few days ago. It does seem to be pretty similar to American Woodworker. It's ok.

When it comes to magazines I prefer a hard copy too. I don't know that magazines and newspapers are going to be with us that much longer.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 08-14-2014 at 7:51 AM.

I have not renewed any WW magazine subscriptions. As mentioned there has been so much written about WW that it is all being repeated. I have enough old hard copies of many magazines that I can refer to for ideas, etc. With my memory it all seems new to me.
    This also save a good bit of money.

This is a general trend, not one specific to woodworking. The way we communicate and the way information is disseminated has completely changed in my lifetime but the most radical changes came in the last 15 years. I have stacks of old woodworking magazines that I never look at anymore. Viewing the content on a PC, tablet or phone is different but I've gotten used to it and don't want to go back to paper magazines.

At the same time, some publications have made the transition to web and e-publishing reasonably well, others poorly. Those that have had poor execution or poor timing, are perhaps doomed. Others may thrive.

Without seeing their books, it appears that Fine Woodworking is doing well. The magazine's high quality content seems intact. They deliver the periodical in paper and electronic formats and the website has an appropriate mix of free and paid content. In fact, I spend a bit more online then I used to pay for a paper mag subscription.

IMO, Popular Woodworking has the potential to succeed online but they have not executed well enough yet. I think they are vulnerable but are the best equipped to compete with FWW. Again, I have no direct knowledge of their financials or even how they are organized.

Regardless of medium or subject, content is king. To succeed online, one must provide regular and compelling content AND monetize this content profitably.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 08-14-2014 at 9:49 AM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    My subscription to American Woodworker was changed to Popular Woodworking (I guess everyone's will be). I got my 1st copy of Popular Woodworking just a few days ago. It does seem to be pretty similar to American Woodworker. It's ok.

When it comes to magazines I prefer a hard copy too. I don't know that magazines and newspapers are going to be with us that much longer.

PHM
    Paul - Are AW subscribers given an option of refunds?

In the case of AMC, people complained that the magazines kept accepting new subscriptions and renewals even though the owners knew they would not meet their subscription obligations. Also, many have not been paid despite their articles were published a long time ago.

Simon

In terms of trends, what will be will be. About all we can do is make sure we're doing a decent job of sharing what we know with each other, and making sure that the information that we're sharing is as accurate as possible.

magazines were the medium for people to read about hobbies post-war when folks started to have leisure time and money, and they've carried pretty strong but the inevitable can't be delayed forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I've been thinking that there has been so much written about so many different aspects of wood working, that the subject matter is getting a little thin.
    Without naming the magazines, it is getting to the point that I typically spend about 30 minutes on a new issue.
    There is one mag that existed 40 years ago, and the subject matter was much stronger than the magazine being published today under the same name.
    I have copies dating back 30 years, and still dig them out to read.

Add this to the digital age, and you have a tough market.

I'm not naming magazines because I don't want to turn this string into rant.

I'm sure the publishers are working really hard to deal with this.

I think you nailed the core issues/problems Lowell. I also spend less than 30 mins on a new issue. [Edit: The following expands a bit on Davids thought, above:] Maybe another factor is the growth of hobby related websites and blogs - the mags arent (or dont HAVE to be) the way to hear about new techniques, shop tips, etc. Plus, they provide an additional dimension thats harder for mags to do - nearly immediate troubleshooting and assistance like we get here at SMC.

But I too prefer a hardcopy to reading a magazine online - I cant write on it and often the pics are too small to use effectively on my tablet.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-14-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It's funny, despite the fact that I try to share information on line, I still prefer a good old fashioned print magazine. And print books. And print newspapers. I really don't like the paradigm which we are shifting towards. I'd like to think the whole e-woodworking thing will run its course soon. I just hope the good magazines (PopWood, FW) will survive in a form that still works for me, my needs, and my interests.

The new print magazine fresh in the mailbox has an excitement factor that a little blue link in an email cannot match.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    The new print magazine fresh in the mailbox has an excitement factor that a little blue link in an email cannot match.
    I hadnt thought of it until you said so, but youre sure right Zach!
    Fred

The age of the www has not only changed the way we communicate and the way we view "publishing", but it has greatly accelerated the pace of life. In the pre-computer age we were perfectly satisfied to wait 2-3 weeks for a letter from friends or family, getting something via mail order in 3-6 weeks was normal, and if you wanted to decrease the time it took on anything, you picked up the land line telephone and placed a relatively expensive long distance phone call. Who today would be satisfied with life like that? We now DEMAND instant gratification and complain bitterly when it isn't delivered. We are experiencing only the latest wave of an ocean of communications change crashing on the beach. It started with the telegraph and then continued with the telephone, radio, mobile radio phone, fax machine, and on to the ARPAnet, cell phone, internet, world wide web, and finally the last 10 years of newest devices. It is going to be tricky to just keep up let alone figure out where things will be going in the future. That makes the "publishing" business one which has to place a lot of risky bets on which direction to move to stay alive and profitable.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    The age of the www has not only changed the way we communicate and the way we view "publishing", but it has greatly accelerated the pace of life. In the pre-computer age we were perfectly satisfied to wait 2-3 weeks for a letter from friends or family, getting something via mail order in 3-6 weeks was normal, and if you wanted to decrease the time it took on anything, you picked up the land line telephone and placed a relatively expensive long distance phone call. Who today would be satisfied with life like that? We now DEMAND instant gratification and complain bitterly when it isn't delivered. We are experiencing only the latest wave of an ocean of communications change crashing on the beach. It started with the telegraph and then continued with the telephone, radio, mobile radio phone, fax machine, and on to the ARPAnet, cell phone, internet, world wide web, and finally the last 10 years of newest devices. It is going to be tricky to just keep up let alone figure out where things will be going in the future. That makes the "publishing" business one which has to place a lot of risky bets on which direction to move to stay alive and profitable.
    The same thing applies especially to newspapers. The shift to instant gratification is killing newspapers and the size of our local rag is showing it. And yet.....I find I prefer reading the paper for news, local, national and international. I wouldn't want to be in the print business to day as I think it's days are numbered.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, I personally would rather read the newspaper, too - the paper copy. Especially if I'm on the road for work. There is something more appealing about taking a paper and sitting in a chair in a hotel lobby with a cup of coffee than there is sitting there with a laptop computer. The paper is much easier on the eyes, and the information is easier to locate without having to dodge shifting pages or popup advertisements.

Our paper here in circulation numbers, I believe, is still in decent shape. A lot of smaller papers are not. What I don't know about because I'm not in the paper business is whether the ad dollars are getting harder to come by, though. Most of the ads in the paper seem to be health care and car sales. I can't imagine that the near terminal auto industry disaster did good things for the papers' coffers for a while.

I still prefer the printed page for those things where I want an easily located reference. Trying to maintain a link list of websites, blogs, specific magazine articles and bits and pieces of this and that is a pain in the butt when I want to refer to them a few months or years after initially reading them. Who wants to have to bookmark almost everything you read that is perhaps marginally interesting. Most on-line sources of info don't maintain good indexes and key word searches can overwhelm you with the number of related but not specifically what you want items. No digital display can let your side by side compare 2 photos in different magazines and even switching back and forth between pages is not as convenient as using a finger to "bookmark" something you are going to refer back to in a few seconds. The other big issue is storage. Do you depend on the longevity of links or copy everything to your own digital storage? What will be the format of the future and will the DVD you burned today or the thumb drive of today be readable 10 years down the road after 2 generational changes of changes in storage media. Remember 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 in floppys?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH