Thread: Carter Hollowiing System

Carter Hollowiing System

Wanted to see if anyone had any experience using this system. I'm looking at the HR-1000 version with the 1" bar upgrade with the long handle. I've read a couple reviews and a few threads here on SMC that were written back in 2011. Wanted to see if anyone has bought the system recently that addressed a couple of the perceived shortcomings from the first generation of the product. I have a few other Carter products and they have given me great performance. Wanted to see if this was in the same ballpark. Primary usage for me would be for flower vases. Currently I can get to a little over 5" with the Sorby Turnmaster but would like to get into the 12"+ range.

Hi David,
    I have used the Carter system for a long time and find it's just the best. Unless your going to do some really dept stuff I don't think the 1" bar is necessary. I have the 5/8's and the 3/4" bar's and that all I think is necessary. Like all the other Carter Produces it build first class.
    You just can't imagine how easy it is to turn a vessel with the system and I use the short handles. BTW, setting up the steady rest and the hollower is a snap once you get the tolerances on the hollower adjusted. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Speier View Post
    Hi David, I have used the Carter system for a long time and find it's just the best. Unless your going to do some really dept stuff I don't think the 1" bar is necessary. I have the 5/8's and the 3/4" bar's and that all I think is necessary. Like all the other Carter Produces it build first class. You just can't imagine how easy it is to turn a vessel with the system and I use the short handles. BTW, setting up the steady rest and the hollower is a snap once you get the tolerances on the hollower adjusted. Good Luck
    Was at the IWF show in Atlanta last week and was able to get hands-on time with the system. Got the small bar, laser and hooked bar along with some different cutters. Took delivery this morning, got it set-up and working within an hour. Took some cuts on a couple different scrap bowls laying around and the unit works flawlessly. Have some blanks I'm going to throw at it this weekend.

I have the Carter Hollow Roller (original) with the laser and a hunter cutter. For reference I still hand hollow and recently purchased the Gizmo articulated hollower.

The Carter is a fancy captured setup, whereby the "rollers" pinch the boring bar (which is flat on the bottom) to arrest the twisting movement of a catch. The build quality is nice and their laser is a very substantially built add on. For vase forms it works pretty good because of the smooth motion of the in and out axis. The side to side axis.....not so much. Its just metal sliding across metal in that direction, as are all captured hollowing rigs. I found that a little bearing grease on the roller surfaces helped A LOT. The hunter cutter provides a nice finish, but you need to "cant" it to a 45 degree angle or it removes too much material. Compared to the standard captured rigs, the Carter it a better design, but you do have to use their boring bars because they have to be flat on the bottom side.

An articulated hollower, like the Elbo, Monster, Gizmo, Kobra... allowed completely fluid movement in all directions because of the thrust bearings in each hinge points. For me this type of hollower is the closest to the freedom of fluid movement (like hand hollowing) that you can get. You can use square, round or even the Carter bar.. in of these units.

I don't use my Carter now that I have the Gizmo articulated hollower, but I do steal the boring bar once in a while for a deeper vase or urn form, since the Carter bar is 3/4" and has the hunter cutter on it!

In reality, any of the hollowing rigs will do what you really want (hollow without the danger of a terrible catch and assistance of a laser). I strongly suggest waiting until you can attend a symposium where these various tools are on display and try them out. Then you can make your choice based on how the tool works and feels in your hands.

Either way you go, I am a strong supporter of learning to hollow by hand before a rig, just so you can know how the tool feels while hollowing and learn the proper motions for that blind cutting path inside.

Hope this helps
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Scott, did you get the opportunity to see Alan Trout's hollowing system at SWAT?

It was on display in the Amalgamutt Blanks area.

very slick system - very fluid movement in all directions - but very pricey at $1200

Yeah, I am friends with Alan and have had my hands on that rig a while back. It's a new design and very cool. His setup is about as heavy duty as you could hope to get and it is smooth in all axis. Alan has a lot of expensive parts in his rig and thus the price tag. It's still cheaper than the Kobra ( and available without the 6-12 month waiting list of the Kobra) and because of it's design, likely "stiffer" than anything else available.

I didn't mention it, because it is twice the price of the Carter (the original poster was asking about) and doesn't really fall into captured or articulated categories. Had I not just purchased the Gizmo last year, I would already have Alan's rail system and knowing my tool hoarding tendencies....well... I might own one down the road!
    -------
    -------

Hi David,

I have the Monster and the Oneway systems and also the Carter Deep Hollowing system. I know there is a price difference there is really no comparison. The Deep system has a 1.5 inch bar which makes hollowing a joy! There is no vibration and leaves you in total control. A 20 inch piece feels like a 4 inch piece on the other units.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jordan View Post
    Hi David,

I have the Monster and the Oneway systems and also the Carter Deep Hollowing system. I know there is a price difference there is really no comparison. The Deep system has a 1.5 inch bar which makes hollowing a joy! There is no vibration and leaves you in total control. A 20 inch piece feels like a 4 inch piece on the other units.
    Pete,

I imagine at some point I'll end up with a couple different versions also but for a first buy I decided on the Carter. Have a 20 year history dealing with them from back in the days when Peter Perez was running the company. The big rig they make will have to wait until I get out of a basement shop. I have things pretty well arranged but just no room for that monster. Here's a couple pics from today. Just threw a scrap bowl (only one that already had a trued-up tenon) because I was in a hurry to try it out. 2nd pic has a glued up piece sitting on the lathe of 5.5" poplar that I'll cut in half to made a couple vases this weekend. Should be able to get a couple vases about 11" high with hollow-out of around 9".
    Carter Hollow 1.jpg

Carter Hollow 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Yeah, I am friends with Alan and have had my hands on that rig a while back. It's a new design and very cool. His setup is about as heavy duty as you could hope to get and it is smooth in all axis. Alan has a lot of expensive parts in his rig and thus the price tag. It's still cheaper than the Kobra ( and available without the 6-12 month waiting list of the Kobra) and because of it's design, likely "stiffer" than anything else available.

I didn't mention it, because it is twice the price of the Carter (the original poster was asking about) and doesn't really fall into captured or articulated categories. Had I not just purchased the Gizmo last year, I would already have Alan's rail system and knowing my tool hoarding tendencies....well... I might own one down the road!
    Scott, was wondering if you have ever tried the Bosch 3/4" stabilizer and how that compares to others you have tried?

Thanks

I have searched the internet, and have not been able to find a picture of the Alan Trout hollowing system, does anyone have a link, or does it go by another name?

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Scott, was wondering if you have ever tried the Bosch 3/4" stabilizer and how that compares to others you have tried?

Thanks
    I talked to Trent quite a bit this year at SWAT and spent some time "investigating" his stabilizer setup. It is an interesting concept. The neat thing about it is the ease of set up. Basically, once the collar is on the tool post shaft, you just stick it in the banjo and start working. The negative side is that it does rely on the strength of the banjo and so you must have a stout banjo. Most lathes will be just fine with that. The other thing is the range of motion, while adequate, is such that you might need to reposition the banjo a few times to reach all the interior areas. Price point is pretty good too, but I don't think it has a laser option and doesn't come with a handle or bar.... so that keeps the cost down. Overall it is a new design that will need folks to se for a while to see how it really works. I wouldn't mind playing with one for a while and at its price point... I may end up with one, someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bunce View Post
    I have searched the internet, and have not been able to find a picture of the Alan Trout hollowing system, does anyone have a link, or does it go by another name?
    Don, Alan Trout's system isn't advertised anywhere...yet. I should have snapped a photo. But if you send him a private message, I am sure he can give you more details. If you buy one, tell him he owes me a commission....or a bottle of good scotch!
    -------
    -------

Don, if you click on my name/avatar, there will be a link to my homepage. Click that and you can see pictures of the system. I try not to do any advertising/promotion of the system on the forums as I know it is frowned upon and I as well am a member of these web communities and understand that I should keep it that way.

In choosing a system people need to determine a budget and what style forms they want to make, and whether the system is capable of what is being ask of it. There are many system that are great tools, and when used as intended do a good job. It is just many of us push these systems beyond their intended capabilities. Don't complain about a system that was intended to go 7" or 8" deep, when it won't do 15", that is not what it was intended to do.

Thanks,

Alan
    Last edited by John Keeton; 08-28-2014 at 5:32 AM.

I have one of Alan's hollowing systems and believe me it is the Crown Jewel of hollowing systems! That said my Monster system will remain on the 46-460 for the smaller pieces.

I don't know if they have changed it, but I saw the Carter when it first came out and relies on the hollowing bar, with it's flat underside, to arrest the torque. While it may work fine, that flat underside means you would have to mill any "aftermarket" bar, like Bosch, Jordan, etc . to be able to use it in the system. I don't like proprietary.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD

That is correct Steve, Carter's system is completely reliant upon the boring bars with the flat on one side. Without it, it wouldn't arrest anything but a downward catch in the bottom of a form. And that reminds me that I need to call Trent for some carbide tipped bars..... I need to start writing things down!
    -------
    -------